Mac Pro international Power supply?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by offwidafairies, Oct 3, 2007.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

If I buy a Mac Pro in the USA is there a difference in how it is made (in terms of power consumption, voltage etc) to that in Australia?

Would I be able to plug it into an Australian wall if I simply buy an Autralian cord?

And what is the go with warranty if I did something like that?

2. moworks2 macrumors member

That's what I did in europe. Bought a new plug and voila, it works. Should be the same in Australia. Macs are 100-120 or 200-240v, 50-60Hz. You should be fine.

It won't void warranty but if I'm not mistaken the Mac Pro, unlike MacBooks, aren't guaraunteed internationally. I think if something happened to it under warranty you'd have to send it back to the US for warranty coverage.

It's 1am, I need sleep. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

So this is probably a stupid question but if I buy it with Apple Care in the USA and then something happens to it in Australia, would I still have to send it back to the states?

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You buy Apple Care in Australia. I'm assuming you are having a short stay in the states.

5. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

Yes Im spending 6 months in the states and trying to decide when to buy. Also, its a fair bit cheaper in the states!

So if I buy Apple Care in Australia for a machine I buy in the USA it will work in Australia?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Apple Care

Buy the Mac in the US, the AppleCare in Aus. Applecare is only valid in the country it was purchased in (except for laptops, where the Applecare is international).

In the past desktops used different power supplies based on where they were sold, so I'd be EXTREMELY careful about just getting a different cord. They MIGHT have universal power adapters built in now, but they have not always.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Ok, generally speaking the power supply should be fine, it will just require a plug prong adapter. However, I know, for example, that the G4 has a switch on the back that you have to switch over before plugging in in Europe, and the old Apple Laptops (REALLY old, think monochrome era) required you to get a currency converter (which is pretty cheap in comparison to the price difference, so worst case scenario, hit a Radio Shack and add about $50 to your overall price). However, current apple laptops have converters built into the power adapters...

Really the only way to know for sure is to ask one of the guys at the Apple store (or call apple). Then you have a definite answer. :)

8. moworks2 macrumors member

I think you should ask in an Apple store in the USA and then contact Apple in Australia and ask them for their policy. Make sure what they offer. Ask about warranty and applecare.

I bought an ibook in New York and brought it to France. I bought applecare here, in France, so if something goes wrong here I can get it fixed. This was five years ago. From what I understood back then Applecare works in the country where you bought it. If you wanted applecare service in the USA you'd need to buy it there. I'm still not sure applecare bought in the USA would be applicable in Australia. I think you should ask apple and get clarification. I mean one would think it would be international but do yourself a favor and ask apple direct.

There are some very knowledgeable people on the apple discussion forums that could probably also give you a good idea about how it all works.

I checked the specs on apple/australia for the Mac Pro and the electrical specs are the same as apple/usa so I think you can just buy a new electrical cord in australia and plug it in.

Perhaps some models have a switch to select electrical current, but my nearly eight year old G4 450mhz tower doesn't have one so I'd be surprised if the new models have one. I bought my G4 in New York while working there for a year in 2000. Then moved it to France. I just bought a new power cord.

One thing you might want to do before moving your Mac Pro back to Australia : make sure all the connective devices work, firewire, ethernet, usb, etc...this way if they need replacing (rare) you can do it in USA under warranty with no hassles.

Good luck with your questions about international warranty. Maybe ask in more than one store and see if the explanation jives.

M