Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

green21135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Hi,

I recently came across a late 2013 Mac Pro that had been unopened from the factory when they had OSX 10.9 (I assume pretty old then) and the computer works fine. Icloud, imessage, and such all work. However, the serial number on the bottom and inside the software does not bring anything up on apple's check coverage thing. At first I thought it may be stolen, but it would still show something when I look it up.

I called apple support and they told me to take it to an apple store to get it looked at.

Any ideas on what could cause this/ or should I bother taking it in?

Thanks in advance.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Serial number is everything in warranty / repair programme. Without a proper serial number, Apple may not provide any maintenance to your machine (no matter you pay it or not). If I were you, I will fix it unless the cost to take the machine to Apple is super high.

green21135

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Serial number is everything in warranty / repair programme. Without a proper serial number, Apple may not provide any maintenance to your machine (no matter you pay it or not). If I were you, I will fix it unless the cost to take the machine to Apple is super high.

The computer works fine, but I was just seeing about the computer potentially being added to their database

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.