Mac Pro / iPad - Best Remote Desktop Setup?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crjackson2134, May 27, 2013.

1. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

This may not be the best section to pose my question, I was unsure, so feel free to move for me if needed.

I need control my MacPro remotely from my iPad. I know there are a few options, but I need some recommendations. Please advise.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

3. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I've got some experience with TeamViewer, I was just wondering which is best. Free or otherwise.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've tested several such apps over the years, and I found TeamViewer to be the best for my needs, which are fairly demanding.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have no idea if it is "best"... but I have used LogMeIn. I've installed the free version on Macs, and I also have the paid iPad app. For all practical purposes, I have not used the iPad app at all.

A couple of times, I have used my MBA while remote to log into my home iMac and drag a file or two into Dropbox... giving me remote access. That is about it.

I have also used LogMeIn to log into friends iMacs who need technical support.

This is neither an endorsement nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from using it. I just know it works when I need it... but I am a very infrequent user of this capability.

/Jim

6. crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Have you tried the one called Screens? How does it compare?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't tried that one.

8. crjackson2134, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013

crjackson2134 thread starter macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Thanks for the replies, I hope someone with screens chimes in to talk about the app. It's probably a waste of my time, but it interests me a bit. I just don't want to have to buy it just to learn about it. For what it's worth, I'll probably stick with TeamViewer until I get more feedback. I already use it on the iPad to support Linux/Windows for friends and family. I just wanted to know if OSX had a better offering. I would use it for My personal Apple products only.