Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like the new Mac Pro brought in the colors from the black iPhone and iPad (as well as iPod touch).

Will this mean future Macs could see black as well? Or is Black the new "Pro" color?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
I doubt it. Can you imagine what a black shiny MacBook Pro would look like new??? So awesome! Now, imagine what it will look like after it's been used for a week. Gross!

A shiny black desktop is fine, because you don't touch it often. A shiny black MBP would be much too difficult to keep clean, and any tiny imperfection or scratch would stand out and look stupid.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
If I am not mistaken, dark colors absorb heat while light colors deflect heat. Would prefer Macs to be silver aluminum specially with laptops when you carry them around.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
Am I the only one who does not care what colour my computer is? It could be covered in pink and yellow polka dots. I am more concerned with what is inside the case and how accessible it is.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
If I am not mistaken, dark colors absorb heat while light colors deflect heat. Would prefer Macs to be silver aluminum specially with laptops when you carry them around.

Actually, the dark colors absorb more light.

If you put a black object and a white object on a heat source in a dark room, then they will both absorb the same amount of heat.

Put them both in the sun, and the black object will absorb more heat.

So the color of the case won't matter much if your Mac in a closet, server room, or under a desk.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I hope they do a keyboard and mouse to match the Mac Pro. The current white mouse and white-key keyboard do not match any Macs, and haven't since before the Magic Mouse was created.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia

Actually, dark colours absorb AND emit heat more quickly than light colours. So a black aluminium laptop would heat up quickly if it was left in the sun, but would also cool down quicker if then moved to the shade. And as a typical usage scenario would more readily have the laptop being used indoors than out in the sun, black would actually be beneficial for thermal dissipation.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
oblig: waah, the MBA design hasn't been significantly updated since 2010 (only CPU speed bumps), apple doesn't care any more, they're killing teh MBA

(do i sound like a mac pro owner now? above was first thoughts at questions over "the future of the rest of the product line")

applegeek897

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
I suppose it is possible, it's not the only pro product, Cinema Displays went from silver to black or at least half of it.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Actually, the dark colors absorb more light.

If you put a black object and a white object on a heat source in a dark room, then they will both absorb the same amount of heat.

Put them both in the sun, and the black object will absorb more heat.

So the color of the case won't matter much if your Mac in a closet, server room, or under a desk.

Actually, he is right when he says dark colors emit more heat. The color makes a difference both in absorbing and emiting heat. Its science.

----------

Actually, dark colours absorb AND emit heat more quickly than light colours. So a black aluminium laptop would heat up quickly if it was left in the sun, but would also cool down quicker if then moved to the shade. And as a typical usage scenario would more readily have the laptop being used indoors than out in the sun, black would actually be beneficial for thermal dissipation.

Whoops, you beat me to it.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Am I the only one who does not care what colour my computer is? It could be covered in pink and yellow polka dots. I am more concerned with what is inside the case and how accessible it is.

Most likely...

The two things are not mutually exclusive.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Wished so hard for this...:(

Attachments

• REDMac.jpg
    REDMac.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 153
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.