Mac Pro - is there no alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stix666, Mar 14, 2009.

1. stix666 macrumors regular

I'm looking to upgrade from my G5 isight iMac. In the past, I have done some film work (SD) and was irritated by the slow render times. Though not doing this work now, I may well do some in the future (hobby/ prosumer). So for the new machine, I was looking for the following:

- lasts 4 or 5 years
    - able to edit prosumer HD
    - quiet
    - runs OS X

Following the disappointing iMac refresh (I think my 4 year old machine has a better firewire capability and screen for example!), I don't think they will do.

I was considering a hackintosh/ e-fix solution but am not that inclined to build my own system and want something quiet that doesn't have to worry about breaking compatibility through software updates

So having rages against Apple for not delivering what I wanted (brilliant computer that costs sweet FA), I have slowly come to the conclusion that a Mac Pro is the way to go.

The 2009 ones seem expensive (especially as I live in the UK). Would it be better going for a 2008 revision, or even an earlier one (ie second-hand), and load it up with RAM etc?

2. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Go looking around on the online Store for a refurbished one. That can save you quite a bit of dough.

3. stix666 thread starter macrumors regular

True
    I've been scanning the internet for refurbs - no luck so far

I wonder how the new 'cheap' single processor mac pros compare to the 2008 variety, price/performance wise

4. Toronto Mike macrumors regular

I don't know if you have the equivilant of a 'Craig's List' type of internet used merchandise/services type of listing matching private buyers and sellers. Here in Toronto, I am always amazed at some of the deals that swing by if you are patient enough to wait for it. I've bought my G5, a back-up video card brand new, and a Nikon D40 body - all at very good prices.

Just after the new Mac Pros were announced, someone was offering to sell a 2.8 8 core machine, 8GB of Ram, loaded with software for $2100 Cdn. I thought that was a good deal. The offer was soon off the table - I assume it sold immediately within hours.

If you have something like this is the UK, there is hope.

Mike