Mac Pro + iTunes 7.6.29 = iPods Not Detected?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by clayj, Feb 11, 2008.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hi all,

I've got three different iPods (5G 60 GB, 2G 8 GB nano, 160 GB Classic) which I am trying to sync with my mac pro running the latest build of iTunes 7.6.29. Any time I plug in one of them, one of the following happens:

• The iPod isn't detected AT ALL. No icon for it appears on the desktop, and iTunes doesn't see it.
    • The icon for the iPod appears on the desktop, but iTunes goes into beachball mode and won't come out until I physically disconnect the iPod. I cannot eject the iPod properly when this happens, so I end up getting error messages.
    • The icon for the iPod appears on the desktop and iTunes shows the iPod there. But when I try to sync, either nothing happens, or I get another beachball.
    Is it true that iTunes 7.6.29 is a total dog? Or is there possibly an issue with my Mac Pro? My MP does have 5 hard drives (4 internal + 1 external), so is it possible that with all of those hard drives, the system is just overloaded trying to add yet another hard drive in the form of an iPod?

2. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

Well, it looks like I get to answer my own question.

Without going into a huge amount of detail and trying (probably in vain) to explain the intricacies of how a multi-computer network with a USB/video switcher box in the middle can be wired, let me just say this: If you have a Dr. Bott MoniSwitch USB/video switch (in my case, it is a MoniSwitch Pro DVI DL box), it can cause your Mac not to be able to detect your iPod when you plug it in. My theory is that iTunes is interrogating the USB network for the iPod and the Dr. Bott switch is eating or messing with the signal... sort of like a rude drunk at a bar who keeps butting in to the conversation you're having with a cute girl.

In my case, I was able to eliminate the issue by reconfiguring some of my wiring (essentially, I put a USB 2.0 7-port hub in between my Mac Pro and my Dr. Bott), and that seems to insulate iTunes and my iPods from whatever interference the Dr. Bott switch was causing. I am now able to connect, sync, and disconnect my iPods perfectly.

Just wanted to post this solution in case anyone else ever runs into this issue. If your iPods aren't connecting properly, start removing USB items and see if you can get things working. Not all USB devices play nice, it seems.