Mac Pro keeps booting from off

Discussion in 'macOS' started by C.Bledsoejr, May 7, 2012.

1. C.Bledsoejr macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've searched this multiple times but to no avail. Most people have issues with their computer staying asleep, or wake on lan, etc. But this issue is that my Mac Pro keeps booting by itself when I turn it off. I checked "Energy Saver" in the system preferences, but it is not scheduled to boot. I use to have it scheduled to boot in the morning so it was ready to go when I need to work. But now it is unchecked, yet it still seems to boot in the morning.

However, now I am unsure. I'm taking a wild guess that there is a script or perhaps a program I've used in the past that might have set this (Or corrupted it). I've checked my tools such as Onyx, and I've also done a repair disk via disk utility and via disk warrior, and I've also repaired permissions. So at this point I'm pretty stuck.

I keep my computer off most of the time when I leave, and when I come back from work it's booted up. (And no I don't have a monkey in the house that keeps messing with me).

If anyone has any useful information, it would be much appreciated. It's a waste of energy when I'm not using it so I'd like to get this figured out! Thanks :)

2. greno macrumors newbie

3. C.Bledsoejr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the effort but I wouldn't exactly call that a solution...

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"If anyone has any useful information, it would be much appreciated."

A little more elegant than the "power cord trick". Use it if you wish:

Get a power strip or surge protector (for about $30 you can get a very nice one, which you should be using anyway).

Plug the Mac Pro's power cable into the surge protector.

When you shut down the Mac Pro, and want it to STAY off, just reach down and turn off the surge protector "by hand".

When you go to start up again, turn on the surge protector.

This is a "hardware solution" that will work -- 100%, absolutely guaranteed.

5. greno macrumors newbie

Hardware solutions are valid.

However, I think what you're really wanting is to find out what is causing the problem.

So have you looked through all the system logs right after the machine starts itself up? You might find a clue as to what is waking the system.

Have you looked through the inventory of applications you have installed to see if any support features such as starting the system at a specific time?

Start those applications and check through all their settings to see what may be set.

Other than that, you need to find the monkey.

6. C.Bledsoejr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's kind of what I'm aiming at. Checking the system logs is actually a good idea I didn't really think of that. I'll let it boot and check it today and report back. I was wondering if it was something I uninstalled really don't know what app would do that, though.. I've already tried looking through preferences that would auto boot my Mac every morning.