Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
Hey guys,

This has kinda been pissin me off for the past few days. Anytime I have iTunes open for a long time or just playing music, iTunes ends up stalling. I don't know why.

I have the latest version of iTunes 7.02 or something like that. What's weird is that when everyone was complaining that iTunes 7 was having a problem, i didn't have one. Now that i updated, things are messing up. When i hit the eject button on the ipod in iTunes, it stalls and the spinning rainbow happens. Then after 10 mins i would force quit iTunes, it closes...but the arrow on the dock shows its still open. I would then try to reboot and the Mac Pro hangs and never gets to rebooting. Everytime this happens, I would have to hold the power button until the machine shuts off. When i turn the MP back on, everything would be working again find so long as I don't touch iTunes, but then my speakers aren't working right. I have no control of the volume with the speaker buttons. I would then have to reboot again to get things working properly.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
No other applications cause the same behavior? Only iTunes?

The only time I have this problem with iTunes is when I'm ripping a scratched or otherwise damaged disk.

If you have this problem with all applications, then I would suggest that it's a RAM problem.

SBik2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2006
/private/var/root
Hey guys,

This has kinda been pissin me off for the past few days. Anytime I have iTunes open for a long time or just playing music, iTunes ends up stalling. I don't know why.

I have the latest version of iTunes 7.02 or something like that. What's weird is that when everyone was complaining that iTunes 7 was having a problem, i didn't have one. Now that i updated, things are messing up. When i hit the eject button on the ipod in iTunes, it stalls and the spinning rainbow happens. Then after 10 mins i would force quit iTunes, it closes...but the arrow on the dock shows its still open. I would then try to reboot and the Mac Pro hangs and never gets to rebooting. Everytime this happens, I would have to hold the power button until the machine shuts off. When i turn the MP back on, everything would be working again find so long as I don't touch iTunes, but then my speakers aren't working right. I have no control of the volume with the speaker buttons. I would then have to reboot again to get things working properly.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do?

In spotlight, type in com.apple.iTunes.plist
then click show all and drag that file(com.apple.iTunes.plist) onto the desktop, then trash it...
Then restart your MP and tell us your results....
I had the same problem on my MB till i did that

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
No, I have no problem with any other apps. Just iTunes. I will try that out tonight when I get home. I did repair permissions on the disk volume and when it was verifiying it, it said that iTunes had different permissions and the music library so i repaired it and it restarted the App n it was working when i left. I will check it out tonight thoroughly. I'll get back toyou guys with the details. Thanks

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
I tried deleting it, but no avail.

This is what my MP is showing in activity monitor:

picture1wh2.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.