Mac Pro (Late 2007) - Graphic Card options

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iamdev, Aug 5, 2010.

1. iamdev macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I've been roaming around this forum for a few weeks now, gathering informations, which graphic card to get now.

Right now, my brain is full of ---- so to speak. I'm totally confused by all those threads and replies in it, since there's so much flaming and denying in it.

So I'm asking you guys again (and sorry for starting a complete new thread), which options I have right now. As mentioned in the subject already - I'm running on a MP Late 2007 model. It should have a 1K watt PSU, and from what I've seen on the logicboard, it has 2 connectors to power the card(s).

Can my MP run a GTX480? What is flashable right now, what isn't? Or should I just stick to the GTX285 Mac edition? I don't mind pulling out cards when I need to boot to OS X.

I'm only doing this for Final Fantasy 14, which will be released in September. That game is so GPU hungry, it's sick :O I wasn't even able to start the benchmark. And no I'm not switching to a PC ;D

Thanks in advance for your help.

edit: will this work? http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-1485-AR&family=GeForce 400 Series Family&sw=

2. ZennZero macrumors member

The 2007 MP is essentially the same as the 2006 MP - meaning (based on what we know to date) your 32-bit EFI is probably going to prevent you from running the latest generation of video cards.

That means you are going to be limited to the 200 series Geforces and the 4000 series Radeons (whether flashed or stock :apple:).

But you might want to wait a week to see if Apple surprises us with pre-2008 MP support.

Edit: Correction - It looks like the GTX 480 will work in the 2006-2007 MP as long as you are willing to jump through a hoop or two:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=955949&highlight=480

3. iamdev thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically, I can't put any newer PC cards in it? or will it only have a black screen at the boot manager? Because I really don't mind switching cards and setting windows as the boot priority.

4. ZennZero macrumors member

If you are willing to only game in Windows, you can run pretty much any card you want. Just have a secondary card in place with OS X support for when you boot into that OS.

5. iamdev thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much for clearing things up for me :) then I shall go for the GTX480!