Mac Pro, late 2010, cooling fan noise/rattle

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigsnowdog, Jan 28, 2011.

1. bigsnowdog macrumors member

My new Pro has been pretty quiet most of the time. More and more it drifts in and out of a faint clicking, rattling noise. Tonight it got a lot worse and has been constant.

I can look through the perforated sheet at the front as I shut it down. When the fan visible from through that front panel slows, the noise slows right along with it.

Then, oddly, as it stops, it becomes jerky, in time with the slowing noise, and when it comes to a stop, it actually then bumps backwards. It reminds me of the old WWII movies showing airplane propellers stopping and then turning backwards from engine compression.

I could see that happening from a rough ball bearing, but I am guessing these are not ball bearing fans. Are they?

How do I contact Applecare about this? Is that the best way to go? Thoughts on this?

Thank you.

2. digitalboi@mac. macrumors newbie

Yeah, you def have a bad fan. If your comfortable installing on your own they will usually send the new one to you or you can always take it into your local apple store. You can call apple tech support at 800.275.2273

3. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I wondered if they would allow a person to do it themselves. I was afraid they would not. I did find instructions on how to do it, indicated to be good for 2009 and mid-2010. Does that seem right, or is there a newer version? Mine is a refurbished purchased in December 2010.

If I do take it to the service center near here, can a computer sit in your car during a winter day and not be damaged by the cold? Defining cold, I am meaning 10 to 20 degrees F. Also, can you lay them on their side?

4. digitalboi@mac. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Well if you bought it refurbished you could have. 2009 or a 2010 version. But for the purposes of fan replacement there would be no perceivable difference in the procedure.

It will be fine in your car, I would suggest letting it warm up to room temperature before powering it up if it gets to cold. And as far as it's orientation, if you mean u need to lay it on it's side to get it to the store that will be fine. It won't hurt it to do so.

5. bigsnowdog thread starter macrumors member

I did visit with Applecare. They view fan replacement as beyond the abilities of the end user, so they will not provide them. I have to take it to a service center.

They had me disconnect all wires from the back after I shut it down. Then leave it sit that way for several minutes. That was to see if that helped. I am not hearing the sound now. I am uncertain about what to think now.

Thoughts on that?