Mac Pro (late 2013) and triple UHD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by w0rd3r, Feb 13, 2015.

1. w0rd3r macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Hi everyone,

Before even starting my thread I'd like to point out this Apple Support page which contains some interesting piece of information: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

That way, you'll know I'm aware of what it says.

That being said, I started a chat with Apple Support earlier today with this question : "How is the new Mac Pro not able to run 3 UHD Displays @60Hz?"
    And I had no better answer that : "just check this page" or even one "Mmmmmeh, it might work but I'm not sure"

So here is the question : Since the New Mac Pro has 3 independent Thunderbolt Bus (port 1-2, port 3-4 and port 5-6 + HDMI), is it possible to connect 3 UHD Displays via Mini DisplayPort and have them running @60Hz ?

The apple support page states you should run 2 displays via Mini DisplayPort and one via HDMI (so 30Hz for the third one).

What happens if I plug the third in a Thunderbolt port ? If I play with SwitchResX, will I be able to run the 3 displays @60Hz (or anything beyond 30Hz for the third display)?

I have 2 ASUS PB287Q plugged via MiniDP->DP running @60Hz flawlessly. I'd love to have a third display BUT I don't want something @30Hz.

So, if anyone has information I'll be glad to read that. If someone has 3 UHD displays on a new Mac Pro, please try them all on TB ports.

Before I finish, I'd like to point out that for example, Lew from Unbox Therapy is currently using 3 3440*1440 + one UHD with the New Mac Pro (see attachment).

So I assume everything runs @60Hz. Is there such a big difference between 3 3440*1440 and 3840*2160 that the new Mac Pro won't be able to run the second one @60Hz?

Thanks for your answers,
    Cheers from France.
    Bob

Attached Files:

2. sirisy macrumors newbie

sorry for my bad english, but trying to help...

yes, you can connect 3 uhd Displays via Mini DisplayPort and have them running @60Hz (connecting each one in a different thunderbolt bus)... i have 3 dell up2414q @60hz on mac pro (2013) - base model

3. w0rd3r thread starter macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Awesome!
    So the apple support page is wrong ?

That's a very good news. I was trying to find out someone with 3 UHD display to test that. Thanks a gazillion times.

Quick question : did you know it will work before you tried ?

4. sirisy macrumors newbie

no. I intended to connect two @ 60Hz and one @ 30Hz. But i tested and it worked.

is really very strange, but the Apple support page is wrong

5. w0rd3r thread starter macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Ok thanks. No trick needed ? They all run @60Hz out of hte box with a MiniDP->DP Cable?

And I don't know if you've tested or if you even can but what happens if you plug a 4th monitor through HDMI now ? Is everything working as it should?

And did you try to put 2 of your 3 monitors on the same Thunderbolt Bus?

Thanks again, Bob

6. sirisy macrumors newbie

dell up2414q is a “tiled display” (MST display). it doesn't worked @60hz out of box. You need to activate an option in the display menu…. but after turned on, it worked

I also tested the three dell up2414q with another apple thunderbolt display (ATD). All connected via Thunderbolt/minidisplay port.

Two Dells (each connected to different bus thunderbolt ) worked @ 60hz. The third Dell ( connected to the same bus thunderbolt that ATD was connected ), worked @30hz

and ATD worked normally (@ 60hz - 2560x1440 )

I made no test with hdmi

7. w0rd3r thread starter macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Ok thanks for everything.
    I ordered the third ASUS PB287Q. I also have to enable DisplayPort 1.2 to use it @60Hz.

I'll let you know when I receive it, but based on what you said, it should work perfectly.

Bob.

8. w0rd3r thread starter macrumors regular

w0rd3r

Well after I received my third PB287Q today, I just plugged it in and it worked flawlessly @60Hz despite what Apple said.

The only thing is, by default I don't have the 3200*1800 resolution on the third screen (but I have it on the 2 others). I'll play with SwitchResX to have it back.

Anyway thanks again for everything, and I hope this thread will help anyone who's wondering what the hell was Apple thinking when they wrote the Support Page.

Bob

Attached Files: