Mac Pro (Late 2013) or Macbook Pro Retina 15" (Mid 2014)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by d0d, Nov 16, 2014.

1. d0d macrumors newbie

Hi guys

Needing to decide between the currently available Mac Pro, or 15" MBP Retina. Budget not an issue.

Mac Pro
    Quad-Core and Dual GPU
    3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 processor
    12GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory
    Dual AMD FirePro D300
    with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM each
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1

Macbook Pro Retina
    15-inch: 2.5GHz
    with Retina display
    Specifications
    2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    Built-in battery (8 hours)2

I'm a potentially converted Windows user, and trying to decide what to go with. I'm currently on a Thinkpad T440P, which I would likely sell to my brother. I do also have a 13" 2012 MBP for work..

As a user, I'd primarily be using it at home, for use of Adobe CC, mild photo and video editing, gaming (CS:GO), movies, and other moderate use. I'd like to run dual displays of at least 1080p, potentially 1440p.

I would potentially dual boot Windows 8 and OSX.

I have an iPhone 4s :\ and iPad mini.

I'm torn between going with the Mac Pro and using my 2012 MBP when going mobile. OR using the rMBP w/Geforce as a desktop replacement and take it on the road when needed (although I do prefer a 13-14").

Does the mid 2014 MBP have any advantage of the late 2013 Mac Pro (due to time of release and latest hardware?)

I hear Mac Pro 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 etc - can anyone tell me how these revisions differ and how I can tell which I have?

Will a new Mac Pro be released soon? Is there anything, hardware wise, that will soon become irrelevant on the Mac Pro?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. matgzx, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

matgzx macrumors newbie

My personal Advice

Hi, If budget is not a problem, simply go for the Mac Pro, for video/photo editing and gaming it is going to be a much better machine (better processor, better graphics, better RAM, and in the future if you want the Mac Pro can run more displays simultaneously than the rMBP, same ultra fast PCIe flash storage), it is simply a beast machine. In this case you can use your MBP 2012 for mobile casual purposes.

Now, if mobile power and performance is extremely important to you, maybe the rMBP 2014 is the better option, it is still a really powerful machine with a stunning display and you can use it at home with dual external monitors (or 3 if you want), and it would be much better in performance compared to your MBP 2012.

My short answer would be, if mobile performance is highly important to you, buy the rMBP, but if you like the most powerful beast machine at home and still have a good mobile notebook for casual use, buy the Mac Pro (but with 512GB instead of 256GB in storage).

As for your question of "Does the mid 2014 MBP have any advantage of the late 2013 Mac Pro (due to time of release and latest hardware?)" : No, in fact, even being released in 2013, the Mac Pro can hold much more RAM (64GB for example) and is 1866 Mhz in speed, faster than rMBP.

That is my personal advice to you.

Bye.

3. d0d thread starter macrumors newbie

matgzx, thank so much for the reply. definitely helps :)

4. emrn macrumors newbie

Worth it?

Is the retina macbook pro worth it? Will it impact performance after two-four years with a 16gb ram?

5. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

The GPUs and hardware in the Late 2013 Mac Pro are more geared for Pro apps than for gaming. As such, for your needs, it might be overkill and not worth the money extra money spent. A maxed out Mid 2014 15" MacBook Pro (higher-end model, fastest processor, highest RAM capacity) will probably better suit your needs.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Mac Pro Mac Pro Mac Pro! If you want to buy one soon, get the 6 core model and D500s... but the 6 core is more important if you only choose one upgrade.

Personally, I would wait for the next gen 7,1. I don't know when they're coming, but it should be worth the wait!

7. mripadmini macrumors regular

i would wait until the next gen if you can and get the 6 core if you have the money.

8. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

9. d0d thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input so far.
    After further consideration, I'm leaning slight more toward the rMBP.

As gaming is one of the factors that'd tilt me toward the Mac Pro, I've realized OSX is still fairly limited in supported software.

Far Cry 4, for example, will be released later today. I'd love to put it to the test on the Mac Pro, but unfortunately it's only supported by Windows.

Aside from the Source engine, there are few options when it comes to the latest gaming titles. Is that a fair assumption?

I'm wondering if I'd be better off just building a robust Windows machine should I really crave some good old PC gaming, as the Mac Pro might not allow it.

The spec'd out rMBP with Geforce 750m would likely give decent performance in CS:GO (any users with experience in this regard?)

Will ponder a bit more this week :)

Thanks again