Mac Pro (Late 2013) startup noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by greenmeanie, Mar 22, 2015.

1. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

I don't remember hearing this when I got it but when turning it on it sounds like Hard Drive chatter for a second or two?
    Was wondering if anyone hears this on theirs.
    After that it sounds normal and runs fine.
    But being it is SSD the only real thing it could be is the FAN I am thinking.

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Isn't the fan the only moving part in the entire machine? Must be the fan.

3. greenmeanie thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

It is hard to figure out because you need to leave the cover on to power it up. Sounds almost like it is coming from near the power button.

4. Raunien macrumors 6502

Could be coil whine? I've read that issue plagues the late 2013 models.

5. edanuff macrumors 6502

There are two potential causes of noise in the nMP. One is the fan, which can start to make a sound a little bit like a hard drive as it changes speed. The other is "coil whine" which is believed to be caused by the power supply, that sounds like radio frequency interference noise, almost like crosstalk interference from network activity picked up by the internal speaker. A small amount of such noise seems to be common but if it becomes very noticeable you need to take it in for service. From your description, I think it's the fan, because you're only hearing it during startup. For either of these issues, you should make a recording using your iPhone or some other means because when you take it in for service, the Genius Bar technicians will likely be unable to hear it over the general noise of the store and will just reinstall OSX and give the machine back to you unfixed. Going in with the recording will save you a lot of time.

6. greenmeanie, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

greenmeanie thread starter macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Ran my serial number for warranty and it seems it has already run out.
    I guess at this point it no longer matters but seems weird because I mostly used my laptop this has hardly any time on it. I had coil whine on a DELL XPS and a Mac Book Pro I had before and it doesn't sound like that.

I don't believe in buying AppleCare because if the product is so good Apple should not be making me extend the small warranty they give us. I guess I will fix it when the time comes hopefully you can buy the parts somewhere for this machine.

Link to Video of the weird noise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbx9ndSL5tQ&spfreload=10