Mac Pro Light

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AVID, Apr 18, 2007.

1. AVID macrumors member

AVID

Dear all - I recently got a mac pro, I know ALL mac product lights perform in the following:

Sleep: snooze
    Awake: off

but for my MP
    Sleep: snooze
    Awake: on (permanently)

1. Is this normal?
    2. If not, is there a way to adjust this? or is it a hardware defect? Help appreciated

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Are you saying it strobes on/off when asleep and is on constantly when powered on?

That's the normal behavior it does that on my MP, it was the same on the Mac Mini (PPC at least).

3. volvoben macrumors 6502

As I understand it (and have seen in practice), headless macs follow the pattern you described (on=on, off=off, sleep=oscillate) while monitors and all-in-ones turn off when the screen is active, turn on when the screen is off but the computer on, and oscillate when asleep.

It's mildly confusing, but makes perfect sense; if your Mac Pro power light turned off when you turned it on you'd be stuck looking at the monitor or listening for fans to know if it's on, while on an iMac etc the screen is right in front of you above the power light. Just as on many high end TVs and Apple's monitors, the power light would be distracting if working in a dark environment, so it turns off when the monitor itself is on.

4. AVID thread starter macrumors member

AVID