Mac Pro little surprise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Feb 25, 2008.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Finally the wait is over.... or is it?

I got my new MP 2.8 (8800) but I can't use it. My old apple monitor's plug from my former PM G5 is simply too big...

Have to wait another 2 weeks for a new Monitor... Went with Dell 2408 WFP.
    Apple thought me to be patient... so I'll wait again. :) At least, I can look at the box.

Anyone got their hands on the new Dell monitor?

2. McGiord, Feb 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What do you mean that your old monitor is too big? The video card doesn't handle it?
    ________
    silver surfer vaporizer

3. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

The monitor plug is too wide to fit the Mac Pro connection. It's a DVI but way larger... so I can't plug it in.

4. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

sorry to hear that mate, is there any chance of finding an adapter?:confused:

5. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

isnt there some kind of DVI adapter for this kind of thing?

6. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

7. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

Doesnt the MP come with an adapter so you can plug in a wide one? like it extends the plug a bit out? I thought that's what it was for at least...

8. HostaDesigner macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. The ADC connector from the monitor is no longer supported. The adapter is about $100 and about the size of a Mac Mini! Forget it! I didn't want to sink that kind of money into a 6-year old monitor. I just bought a new display... with another on the way! It kinda pissed me off that by surprise I wasn't able to use my old monitor, but I'm happier now anyway.

9. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Hope the Dell will rock!

For the little adapter... no, they don't fit at all.. even looked into my old Powermac box to find adapters... nothing!

10. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

well it's good to see I'm not the only one who buys a new monitor every time he buys a new computer. And every time I buy a new monitor it seems I just have to buy a larger one, even if the old one was adequate in size. I'm up to a 26" now, so I suppose my next one will be a projector :)

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would see if you could find an adapter before buying an entirely new monitor.

12. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

I could! The problem is that it's 1/4 of the price of a new monitor... I prefer to change my 6 year old display.

13. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

14. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Man... Just ordered tonight. I've been told I would have to wait from 7 - 12 days.... Ouch!

15. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

There actually is a good story in all this I should let everyone know about:
    I put in my order the day they hit the Dell website last week and was told it would ship on March 6th. Later that evening I checked my order status online and the sales agent had put in an order for the 2407. I called Dell ASAP, but they said they couldn't do anything until the next day and would call me. Now this has to be the best customer service I have ever experienced, the person who called me back said because of the error they would ship the monitor to me on Friday (Feb. 22nd). It gets even better, he called back Friday and said he was moving me up to overnight shipping and hoped the had made up for the error! He emailed me today to make sure I received my monitor and it was working well, then followed up with a phone call.

16. Virtuoso macrumors regular

I ordered 2 the same day and also got the March 6 delivery estimate. They both arrived today! :eek:

No such luck with my OWC memory though - ordered 2 weeks ago and still hasn't shipped. :(

17. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

These ADC monitor connections were pretty cool actually. Display, Power and usb hub all in one cable! Sadly no one except Apple used it and so it faded away. :(

18. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

The MacPro comes with an adapter. Open the box and look. Just don't look at the box :cool:

The MacPro comes with an adapter. Open the box and look. Just don't look at the box :cool:

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's the VGA adaptor, the OP would need the ADC converter which is completely different.

20. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There is an DVI extender in the box, for those monitors with a DVI connector physically too big to fit or for situations where you want to connect up two DVI monitors. Also a VGA adapter, but no ADC like the OP needed.

21. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Thanks Surflorda for the false hope... Nah! It's the first thing I did... look in the box. And trust me... nothing fits.

22. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

I might not get this chance. I'm living in Canada... so I expect the full time wait. I had to wait almost a month for my Mac Pro. So I expect nothing spectacular. So I should get 8 gig of Ram this week and have my monitor next week. I will deserve this Mac... Hopefully, I won't have any issues.

23. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

24. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

From what I heard, it's bulky and for what I know... it's pricey!

25. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

You are so right! I still love my old monitor... that's why I feel bad that I won't be able to use it. Shame on Apple though for not making this swap an easier task.