Mac Pro lookalike PC on Indiegogo!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Middleman-77, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Middleman-77 macrumors member

2. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Wow.

That has got to be one of the ugliest computers I have ever seen (if you can even call it that, all I see is 3D renderings and overextended promises).

I'm also wondering how they intend to pull that off in $100K, unless they're using off the shelf components for the motherboard.

-SC

3. philliplakis macrumors member

ditto

4. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

5. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

Agreed, is it wrong that I can see someone ordering a Ed Hardy edition of this?

Loving that it's only at $50.00 of its funding goal.

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

7. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

This is truly ugly. Do people really want a cylindrical computer that badly? Thanks to the flat nature of PC parts, you can actually save space and fit just as much stuff (my making a cuboid shape inside the footprint of this enclosure) or jam it even fuller by making a cuboid shape that would encapsulate this enclosure. I'd prefer the latter, myself.

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I can appreciate the material choices, but the end product looks cobbed together. Honestly I really don't see the appeal of making a cylinder-shaped computer anyway.

9. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

Well the novel design of the Mac Pro is for a reason—it's how it can be powerful AND cool AND quiet.

But yeah I don't see how you could achieve anything approaching the same level without the same modification of components Apple achieved.

I think there's some things I like about the look, including its more bespoke appearance. I can think of plenty more plastic and metal PCs I would throw into the fire before this one.

As for the whole idea—anyone who says "the first truly customizable PC" as their tagline seems to have a disconnect with the reality of the world.

10. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Maybe, I guess, but based on owner complaints it doesn't seem all that quiet. It could still be cool and quiet using multiple heat sinks with the same hardware and, I dunno, give users a second internal storage bay or something. That would go against their current "everything is a non-user-serviceable disposable luxury appliance" direction, though. I expect that the next version of the nMP will have soldered RAM in configurations of 16, 32, and 64GB.

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

This. The Mac Pro is not a design crying out to be emulated.

12. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

I will take that bet.

13. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

14. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

No, it's not an actual bet. It's a character of what I believe their overall direction to be. They do seem to be running out of Macs to solder the RAM onto, though.