mac pro + macbook air vs macbook pro 15 + ipad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aloshka, Nov 15, 2010.

1. aloshka macrumors 65816

Title says it all. Obviously there is a price difference, and the real question is it really worth it. I've used both macbook pro's and mac pros in the past, and have a hard time deciding.

Thoughts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That would depend on your use. Unless you are running some really heavy apps, there is no sense in getting a Mac Pro. Perhaps iMac might be a better choice in that situation.

Either way, without knowing your use, I couldn't tell you which would be better.

3. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Should have probably mentioned this.. I'm a visual studio developer and work with many clients. For each client I have a vmware image (4-5), and generally work on 1-2 clients at a time. Compile times, faster processing speed is pretty important. I thought about imac, but would need to expand to a second drive. with the laptop i plan on replacing the dvd drive with a second ssd, and on the mac pro, well, that's a no brainer.

so lots of processing power via vmware workstation. once in a while will be converting videos/dvds via handbrake for watching on the ipad if i go that route.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Since I have all four of the pieces of equipment you talked about I'll chime in with my opinion.

If you are running a lot of VMs and are doing a lot of encoding I would say go with the mac pro.

The MBP is very fast, but with that many VMs Id say the mac pro would be the better choice.

As for the second device you could either go with an iPad or a MBA. Since you seem to want more of a media playing type device I'd say probably go for the iPad as your second device unless you plan on taking your work with you, in that case I'd say grab the macbook air.

5. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

How are you liking all four? Does it ever seem like syncing is a pain in the butt? You are right in that mac pro is a must. I think I will definitely go that route. I also love the ipad, but wondering if an ipad and a macbook is too much when I get just get an air 13 that covers the small notebook need as well as the entertainment side of it during travel.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Syncing is actually pretty easy. All of my devices feed off of my mac pro which is backed up daily. Any files that change on any machine simply go into a folder that I manually sync later on. Each device of mine has a specific use but if i could only choose two I would go with the Mac pro and macbook air, although if i was using it primarily for travel and entertainment I'd go with the 11 inch. If you are only going to get the second device for entertainment and internet id say go the iPad route. Its hard to beat the ipad in terms of portability.

7. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

That makes sense, except I'm thinking if I get the MBA 13, than an ipad will be overkill and unnecessary, since the 11 and the 13 are small enough (not quite ipad size). Just seems too much by buying a 13 + ipad + mac pro. But they do serve different purposes, you are right.

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

I'll also just say that the MP + MBA combination is fantastic. Your uses seem to warrant getting a MP so I think this a great solution. There have been times I've wanted an iPad, but it seems redundant as I also have an iPhone. There's a very tiny niche left to fill, but I've got a few other things I want to spend $500+ on right now. YMMV but if you go MP + MBA, use it for a couple months and see if the iPad will improve your workflow.

Syncing is much easier that I expected. Dropbox is terrific for that.

9. andrewsd macrumors 6502

laptop

I prefer the macbook air.. think of this if you travel say on a plane you have to hold the ipad the whole time to prop it up but if you have a laptop you can just set it on the eating tray..

10. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

You are absolutely right about ipad vs iphone.. dropbox IS wonderful, I use it for just making certain things public, but I can imagine syncing is beautiful. The only problem, can't really sync Virtual Machines (40gb each). But I'm sure I can do just the snapshots.. You are right! I think I'll get the air.

11. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Didn't think of that, you are right. I used my wife's ipad in bed, and my hands got numb holding it up. Didn't realize that until you mentioned. Well thanks everyone for all your input. Mac Pro was already ordered, coming in today!!! Will order macbook air 13 with 4gb/2.16 a little later today.

12. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Congrats, enjoy! Hopefully you'll figure out a good system for syncing your VMs if that becomes necessary. That MBA will be fantastic. I'm running a Rev B 1.86 with 2GB of RAM and it's worked nicely. Yours is gonna fly by comparison ;)

13. UltimaLink macrumors regular

The MacBook Pro 13" is portable enough. You don't need the Air.

Go with a MacBook Pro 13" and an iMac(Or if you really have to, a Mac Pro.)

14. aloshka, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, Mac PRO and MBA for travel. Ipad will not work as I will need to run vms' locally.

15. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

coming back to this again

I'm sorry, I'm coming back to this again. Had to travel a lot in the last few weeks, working remotely (aka rdp to the vm) was pointless. IT was too slow to execute or do anything. Copying virtual machine back and fourth for everytime I got to a client becoming a problem as well since copying 40gb images is cumbersome.

So I'm back to square one. I love the SPEED of the mac pro, but only having the ability to work in one place is becoming a problem. Doesn't anyone else have this problem, or does everyone else have a single office they work from, and everywhere else its' ok to not be as productive?

IS my only choice/chance not to avoid wasting time on copying, to have a macbook pro? Or eat up the extra 2k, keep the mac pro, and just keep copying images between macbook pro (or air) and the mac pro?

One more time, and thanks so much in advanced, anyone else in this situation? How have you solved it?

16. andrewsd macrumors 6502

hello again

glad my suggestion helped a little last time.. I love MBP but you'd prob have to go with a 17" to get the power you need and a 11" air or something but for a lot of travel that consist of short distances then iPad but for flights that last a while or trains then you have to go with the air. Maybe you should go try to play around with a MBP17 or maxed out 15" they may be enough I am not sure. I know people that have iMacs that are somewhat maxed out and MBP's that may be a route for you .. Maybe a maxed 24" iMac and a 13"MBP.. I hope I helped a little.