Mac Pro major Problem.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Al T, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Al T macrumors newbie

Hi Y'all. last night my mac pro went bad. It was very slow and sluggish, making a fast clicking sounds when tasking. I Dl'd Onyx, which told me I need to do a disc repair/maintanance. Following the Mac manual, I restarted holding down the relevant keys. The Mac restarted, with relevant sounds but no signal to the monitors, nothing, not even a back light. I can hear the mac chugging away, but no display. I left the mac on and checked my PS3, which I stream to, and all streams as normal, I can see and play all relevant files. Any ideas folks?

Worst of all is, My warranty ran out 5 weeks ago, bugger!

Any words of wisdom?:(

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Well, your first problem was DL'ing Onyx. I swear that thing should just go away. Now, have you tried zapping the PRAM? On boot, hold apple-option-p-r, and wait for the computer to make chime. Keep holding, you'll hear a second chime. When the machine restarts, it will be a bit slow, as it's going through all it tests, but after that it should work. That would fix your slowness issue.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm... a fast clicking sound? Can you be more descriptive? Perhaps the fan on the video card went dead?

If the above doesn't work, the next thing to do is a hardware test -- this uses the video card at a very low level, so if it doesn't show any video, your video card is probably dead.

I believe you get it by putting the system install / restore DVD into the computer and holding "d" during boot.

Then, the place to start would be putting a new video card in it. If you can borrow or purchase one that could be returned, that would be ideal.

4. Al T thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried all of the above, waited a good 10 mins after reboot, and no display. The clicking noise has always been there since day one, it makes the clicking noise when tasking i.e. when opening programmes and refreshing etc.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you said that you tried all of the above, from where did you get the alternate video card? What model is it?

And when you say "tasking," is the clicking noise coming from your speakers or from inside the Mac Pro cabinet? Is it happening directly when things happen -- e.g. you press the mouse button or the key and hear the click -- or is it just happening more when you do an activity? Is it qualitatively different from the sounds that other hard drives you've used before make?

6. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I'm confused -- is the clicking new?

Do you know what a hard drive sounds like (no offense, just asking) -- is that the clicking sound?