Mac Pro making noises and stuck at grey screen - NOT the drives! Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by westonheflin, Jan 21, 2010.

1. westonheflin macrumors newbie

My Mac Pro started having issues about 2 weeks ago. The screen would go blue every now and again for about 3 seconds and then go back to normal. It kept doing this off and on.

Two days ago the Mac Pro started making a buzzing/humming sound, loud enough to hear in the other room. I shut it down and tried to fire it back up and it began making a clicking noise, then the humming came back. The screen froze at the grey screen and did not show the white loading wheel.

I've swapped out the drives and still the same. The Mac is about 2.5 yrs old and I use it for video editing (FCP) and photo editing (Adobe CS3). I've never had any issues until now.

Before I take it in for testing, any advice?!

2. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you have a spare Apple pcie video card, you could try swapping that in to see if it's the card. Video card is one of the first things I suspect in desktop machines.

Doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. Also doesn't sound like a RAM problem.

If a video card swap doesn't fix it, you'll need to take it in, unless you have the experience and the tools to troubleshoot motherboard/logicboard failures.