Mac Pro Mavericks Maps Location Aware?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ricosuave, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ricosuave macrumors 6502

ricosuave

I've searched the internet but cannot find what I'm looking for. I read that the Maps app uses Wifi to locate its location. However, even with Wifi turned on, my Pro doesn't. Does anyone know a way to resolve this? I have a 2009 4.1

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

My 3,1 and my MBP is about 50-60 yard accuracy indoors, which is where my cable company have their mux cabinet which my connection pipe goes. Therefore it all depends on your internet provider.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Are you able to pick up any wi-fi hotspots?

I've read how this works is Airport looks for SSIDs and compares them to a database of physical locations for known SSIDs that comes from various sources such as registered WiFi spots and even the Google Street View cars driving around mapping WiFi spots.

So if you're not near any wifi hotspots at all, or none with known physical locations, it doesn't know where you are.

4. jimj740 macrumors regular

jimj740

Pining for the company that once gave us Clarus
    You must explicitly enable location services under the privacy tab of "security & privacy" in the control panel for this to work.

I am not certain, but I believe you also need to have a recovery partition on your hard disk for location services to work; I know for certain it is a requirement for "Find my Mac" to work...

5. ricosuave thread starter macrumors 6502

ricosuave

I'm logged into my home AirPort Extreme.

Did both those things.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you happen to have any iOS devices? How new is your router and modem?