mac pro, mbp, imac or airbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aloshka, Oct 25, 2010.

1. aloshka macrumors 65816

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I've read pretty much all the imac vs mac pro forums, and my situation seems to be a little different than everyone else's, so bare with me.

I do a lot of heavy visual studio work, I have 5 VMs for 5 different companies. Some require device interfaces, some require heavy graphics. I work fast, and waiting on a slow PC is not an option. I chose MAC because I do windows development in Parallels and MAC in...well mac. Currently I'm working on a 15" mbp i7 2.66 with 8gb ram, and 512gb ssd drive. Coming from a custom built pc, I feel the power lacking and often times compiling is insanely lagging (keep in mind the projects are large)

Also, the 15" screen is fine for 1 day at a client site, but at home (where I do most of my work), it's hooked to a 27" cinema display and I prefer sitting properly at a desk. I only have to be at a client site programming, 1 day a week, and another day for just meetings (so no heavy lifting). The rest are spent in my home office. I also travel for 3-4 days a month, but I do not really need heavy lifting during these travel times, but sometimes need access to my work for other clients (slow vpns are ok for these emergencies).

So my confusion is this. Should I just jump in, and buy a mac pro, shove the 512gb ssd, i have 16gb of memory i can get for it, and use that as primary machine? Sell the 15"incher and buy the new 13" air (i prefer light laptops for the travel/client visits) as just a laptop. Or get a 27" imac, sell the display (since i don't really need dual 27's), or is my current laptop + 27 acd really my best option?

Keep in mind, the faster I get work done, the bigger the bonuses, so sometimes speed is worth $$ for one of the clients I work for.

Any new ideas, or recommendations are welcome. I think I just over analyzed the situation a little or just bored with my current setup and maybe nothing needs to change. My budget is high, but still limited, and helps if i sell anything i already have.

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

keep your MBP for the "no heavy lifting stuff " and get a MacPro max out its ram get the best graphics card thats working on a MacPro and get a ssd for it for the system and apps , at least a 10000rpm better a 15000rpm HDD for storage (a couple Terabytes are possible inside ) , that should do the trick at home with as much heavy lifting as you like or wish for and offers you pci slots to add some hardware you might need , ok a high budget does help there ;),
    then just hook up the 27" screen

3. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

I agree on the mac pro, but I'm not too fond with traveling with the 15. IT's a bit bulky especially on the plane, and I don't want yet another device to buy like the ipad. But thanks for the info

4. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i would not buy the ipad , just in the case you come to the point where you NEED to do a bit heavy lifting , then you are better of with the new 11.6 MBA and the price difference considering the amount of storage and that you got a proper operating system is not big and you can install all your software too as the MBA runs osx , ok it might not be as fast as your MBP but its light and small , and like i said you might need to alter something in the train or in the plane so it comes handy if you got all the software at hand , so wipe your MBP polish it and sell it , you might get enough to buy the MBA

and for all the iPad lovers dont get me wrong there , the iPad is ok for really basic stuff , but just does not run osx and that is a downside
    even on the basic MBA you could if you push it even run pro software and do some really heavy tasks if you have to

5. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

machampster, thanks you are right. I already got a buyer for the macbook pro and with the small bonus i'm getting i'll be able to do an upgraded 13" mba, so that definitely won't be an issue. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

I think i'll go mac pro, keep current monitor, buy macbook air 13, and sell macbook pro 15.. and if extra power needed onsite, i'll have the company buy a pc for that.

again, thanks!

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Great plan. I have that setup now and it's fantastic. I'm not getting paid though :eek:

7. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Just came back from the mac store. Setting it all up. Small issue, the 27" cable is too short, is there an extender or anything so i can put the mp on the floor.

So you like the setup? That's awesome, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

9. aloshka thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I noticed. I found a bunch on ebay as well, that do the USB one as well. Hopefully they work with the 27" monitor as well.

Also, I'm going to return this mac pro (I bought the nehalem), and order a westmere 6-core. If i'm investing for a few years, might as well invest well. Plus with 3-4 virtual machines running at the same time, 6-core would be ideal.

10. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The 6-core is a terrific machine. If it were priced a bit lower, I'd have gone for it as well. I think the MBA + MP is one of the best setups in Apple's lineup (if one can afford it). Enjoy :)