Mac Pro/MBP with Design Work

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hobes270, Mar 22, 2009.

1. hobes270 macrumors regular

Hi! Ok so basically I am deciding weather to buy a Mac Pro or a macbook pro. I do a lot of the Adobe applications mainly including photoshop, dreamweaver, flash, indesign and that type of stuff. I also use Final Cut Studio occasionally. When i am in photoshop, 85% of the time I am not working with ridiculously large files. On occasion I do.

So I am deciding between a Mac Pro and a Macbook pro. The only thing is if I go with the mac pro, I would have to at least buy a cheap macbook because i need something portable. But the real questions is, is with that i do, do I use the power of the mac pro or will the top end macbook pro do it about the same? Do i use all 8 cores? If I went with the macbook pro, I would probably do the 8 gigs of ram in the 17 inch model. The only reason why i am contemplating on this is because if I go with the macbook pro route, It will be much cheaper in the end. But if I go with the mac pro and it will benefit me that much more then it may be worth it.

I was going to do the 08 mac pro biz discount but they ran out around here :(

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. jeremyschultz macrumors member

I think for your situation the MacBook Pro will be a good pick. I got my MBP in 2007 with the fastest processor and 3GB RAM (maximum at the time) and it has been a good machine for all Adobe CS3 and CS4 apps. It gets bogged down by video work, which is why I'll be upgrading to a Mac Pro soon, but you do video work only occasionally and the same with intensive Photoshop work.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest/weakest MBP, but a mid-line or top-of-the-line configuration would be a good fit for your work.

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

do you freelance and move around a bit?

if so get the MacBook Pro. Dont get a macbook or anything lesser. Max out the MacBook Pro with RAM. It should be fine for your uses if you arent doing massive PS files. Then get a 23, 24 or 30" external display and hook it up. just be careful with the mini display port dual link adapter if you get the unibody MBP for the 30" ACD.

I good option is to buy the previous gen aluminium 17 MBP with a full DVI port and get a knocked down price also to make your $$$ or £££ go further

4. bobbydaz macrumors regular

I've just replaced my 2006 MP with a new 17" MBP and so far it's great. I did upgrade the processor to 2.93 and I would also recommend that you DEFINITELY upgrade the HD to the 7200 rpm option. I may eventually up the ram to 8gb if the prices drop but for now it seems to cope with my CS4 needs. I have also hung on to my 23" display for when I need to do some real hardcore work.

5. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, ok so it looks as if the macbook pro is my best bet! I think that is what I will do, go with the 17" macbook pro with the 2.93ghz and 7200rpm drive. I already have a 24" LED. It looks like everyone would go with the macbook pro instead of the mac pro with macbook then. I think that is what I wil do.

6. bobbydaz macrumors regular

one other thing, carefully consider whether you want gloss or anti-glare display. Personally I popped for anti-glare as I didn't want to take the risk. If you can get to Apple Store check out both as I did and make your decision from there. Good luck with your purchase!

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, MBPs + larger ext display give you max flexibility. Till the day you really need the grunt and expandability of a Mac Pro :D

Also, if you can afford it, get the SSD drive. You will see a huge leap in performance. Either as a CTO or upgrade it later yourself. The Intel X25-E or Vertex 120 or 250GB are two of the best at the moment

8. hobes270 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, should I do the 15" or 17"? Either way I am going with the 2.93ghz. I already have a 24" monitor. But the 17" can do 8gigs of ram. Idk....

9. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

If 17" is not too big for you to carry/travel with, I'd get the 17". The extra screen real estate is great both for when you have to work remotely away from your ext display and at home/studio where you can push all you palettes or 2nd app onto it with a spanning display setup. And as you say also for the double RAM expandability. As well as the "longer" battery life. I run 1x 15" and 2x 17" mac laptops (hooked to a 23 ACD) and I prefer the 17"ers. Also have a Mac Pro with 30" for pure studio work.