Mac Pro Memory and Hard drive manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smpil, Apr 7, 2008.

1. smpil macrumors newbie

Does anyone happen to know the manufacturer Apple uses for their memory and hard drives in their mac pro's? I am purchasing a new Mac and want to see if I can just buy the memory and hard drive options cheaper as Apple like to add a nice mark up when you buy it from them.

Thanks!

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I have a Jan 08 Mac Pro. My hdd is a Seagate Barracuda, the memory sticks are Hynix.

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't know the manufacturer, but you can easily use HDDs and RAM from other manufacturers, as long as they're FB-DIMMs for the RAM and SATA for the HDDs.

4. Mac_Max macrumors 6502

Apple shops around but their Desktop drives seem to mostly be Seagates for the past few years.

Their laptop drives/Mini drives are Fujitsu and Seagate depending on price points I suppose (my Mini came with a Fujitsu and my Mom' MBP - purchased around the same time - came with a Seagate even though they are the same Capacity, specs, etc).

Most of Apple's ram comes from either Samsung or Micron (sold in the retail market as Crucial... but note that sometimes Crucial will ship ProMOS chips instead of Micron... not that it really matters).

Any HD will work fine. So long as you use cooler running FB-DIMMs I think everything will be fine thermally. I believe that early FB-DIMMs had a very hot controller chip and would pose problems, but that issue should be gone by now.

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The stock HD in my Quad 3.0GHz Mac Pro is a Western Digital 250GB

The stock memory is Micron memory (has an M with a little orbit swirl on it, that is their logo)