Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidarthurs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
So I've just bought 2x2GB dimm's of memory for my new mac pro - can I keep the standard 2x1 dimm's in there and just add the 2 new ones alongside them above and below? (6GB total) or should I remove the 2x1's ? not clear from manual if this is ok? I presume it is and they are still in pairs.

Cryptic1911

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Connecticut
its fine, I have 2x2gb and 2x1gb in mine

you have to put the 2x1gb on one card, and the 2x2gb on the other one, otherwise it won't recognize it

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Its fine to keep them in there and more ram is always better. But remember in the future its best to use all same config ram 8x2gb is what I have or you can do 8x1gb, long as their all filled with same gb ram it will run 100% and its insanely fast!:D

Also dont forget to keep the original ram from apple because if something goes wrong in the future and you send it to apple care you will need to put the original ram back in the mac pro and keep the ram whatever config ram you bought 3rd party and ship.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
So I've just bought 2x2GB dimm's of memory for my new mac pro - can I keep the standard 2x1 dimm's in there and just add the 2 new ones alongside them above and below? (6GB total) or should I remove the 2x1's ? not clear from manual if this is ok? I presume it is and they are still in pairs.

Not clear from the manual about RAM placement? They give a description AND diagram.
Top riser: 2GB sticks in slots 1 & 2
Bottom riser: 1GB sticks in slots 1 & 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.