Mac Pro Memory Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ioioi, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ioioi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad-Core Intel Xeon from 6GB (current configuration is 2GBx3 DDR3 ECC 1066) to 12GB (4GBx3).

My question is what is the difference between buying a matched set like this, or a standard set like this? Is there any advantage, and if so what is it? I work with video/music applications in 64bit mode and speed/multitasking are the most important factors to me.

Also, is OWC the best place to purchase memory, or is there another vendor that is recommended?

Thanks!
    ~ :apple:

2. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502

Mac Hammer Fan

I have the latter one in my MacPro 2009 and they work fine. I wouldn't pay the extra for the first set. I bought from OWC.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

I suppose the matched set would make the most of the triple-channel...but the speed benefit of that is negligible anyway. save your money.

4. ioioi, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

ioioi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses. I'm just confused what the real difference is between the 'matched' and 'unmatched'?

Isn't it significantly better performance to have a triple channel configuration rather than dual?

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

ABSOLUTELY NOT! Many real world tests have shown the difference is insignificant. In fact, your more likely to have a performance hit from too little mem.

cheers
    JohnG

6. ioioi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful information, I really appreciate it.

Now my only other question is the where the best place to buy ram would be? Has anyone tried http://datamem.com? The prices are significantly better than OWC, although I don't know anything about them. Any input would be appreciated ... ;)

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

How did you even find a link to the matched set? That's really old as far as I know - they were the first 4GB DIMMS they offered and have the caveat that they can be the only kind of DIMMS in the system.

The current kit they sell is the $230 one (I believe).

I just purchased that for my Mac Pro and it works fine, but to be honest, there are very very few apps I run that can use that much memory. Even with tons of apps open at once, including 64-bit Aperture with a 100GB RAW library, I can't get it to use much more than 6GB of RAM. I'm not sure it was worth it to be honest.

8. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I'm using these mem modules in my 2010 MP and they should work in your MP:

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=W1333EB4GA&title=Super-Talent-DDR3-1333-4GB-ECC-Server-Memory-For-Apple-Mac-Pro-Systems

You can also get a $15 coupon if you search the net.

regards
    JohnG

9. ioioi, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

ioioi thread starter macrumors newbie

I just googled "12GB OWC Matched Set +3x4GB" and behold, there it was. It says Xserve on the search results if that means anything.

Have you ever pushed it beyond the scope of what you described to see if your system is going beyond the 6GB? I do quite a bit of After Effects, Zrbush, etc. and my system is pushed to the max with my current 6GB configuration. Hopefully when I get the extra ram it will be a huge improvement.

Those are 1333MHz, so my Early 2009 Mac Pro would be running them @ 1066Mhz, correct?

Thanks for all the info, it definitely helps.

10. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Check the activity monitor. If you are getting a lot of page outs then you need more RAM. I recently upgraded from 4gb to 7gb and it certainly made a world of difference.

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

Yes, the memory will run at 1033. That's NO problem because there's absolutely NO gain in running memory at 1333.

1333 is a total BS selling point and has virtually ZERO real-world performance benefits.

regards
    JohnG