Mac Pro memory

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmaniac01, Mar 13, 2008.

1. macmaniac01 macrumors newbie

can anyone tell me if the new mac pro's are able to use/run normal DDR2 RAM chips? Do I have use only FB-DIMM chips?

I realise the FB means "Fully Buffered" and allows for read and write simultaneously to RAM. But i wounder if more RAM (DDR2) is better than less(FB-DIMM).

The price difference is huge at my local computer store and i wonder if upgarding (if possible) to more DDR2 RAM chips instead of FB-DIMM is faster?

2. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

It would REALLY behoove you to use the type of RAM that Apple certifies. You can get it on OWC.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

No, FB-DIMM's and standard DDR-2 modules require completely different wiring on the motherboard.

In a standard DDR setup, wires run in parallel from each DDR module to the memory controller. FB-DIMM's contain DDR chips on the memory module, but access to/from the memory controller is mediated by the AMB chip through a serial interface. One of the rationales for this is that as you add more and more memory to the system, designing a parallel bus wiring layout becomes a much more difficult and expensive task.

Intel has a good picture of this here (scroll down to the improving board layouts sub-section):
    http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/Fully-buffered-DIMM-0305.htm

4. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

And then there's the whole heat sink thing.... Just get the certified RAM from OWC. Lifetime replacement. You won't regret it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Sigh - Welcome to MacRumors,

First step is to Search for answers before posting a new thread, (we covered this question as recently as yesterday) or look in the Guides section of the site (under the Guides tab at the top of this window)

Hardware: Understanding Intel Mac RAM

The answer to this and many other common questions can be found in the Guides.