Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmaniac01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
can anyone tell me if the new mac pro's are able to use/run normal DDR2 RAM chips? Do I have use only FB-DIMM chips?

I realise the FB means "Fully Buffered" and allows for read and write simultaneously to RAM. But i wounder if more RAM (DDR2) is better than less(FB-DIMM).

The price difference is huge at my local computer store and i wonder if upgarding (if possible) to more DDR2 RAM chips instead of FB-DIMM is faster?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
can anyone tell me if the new mac pro's are able to use/run normal DDR2 RAM chips? Do I have use only FB-DIMM chips?

I realise the FB means "Fully Buffered" and allows for read and write simultaneously to RAM. But i wounder if more RAM (DDR2) is better than less(FB-DIMM).

The price difference is huge at my local computer store and i wonder if upgarding (if possible) to more DDR2 RAM chips instead of FB-DIMM is faster?

No, FB-DIMM's and standard DDR-2 modules require completely different wiring on the motherboard.

In a standard DDR setup, wires run in parallel from each DDR module to the memory controller. FB-DIMM's contain DDR chips on the memory module, but access to/from the memory controller is mediated by the AMB chip through a serial interface. One of the rationales for this is that as you add more and more memory to the system, designing a parallel bus wiring layout becomes a much more difficult and expensive task.

Intel has a good picture of this here (scroll down to the improving board layouts sub-section):
http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/Fully-buffered-DIMM-0305.htm

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
No, FB-DIMM's and standard DDR-2 modules require completely different wiring on the motherboard.

In a standard DDR setup, wires run in parallel from each DDR module to the memory controller. FB-DIMM's contain DDR chips on the memory module, but access to/from the memory controller is mediated by the AMB chip through a serial interface. One of the rationales for this is that as you add more and more memory to the system, designing a parallel bus wiring layout becomes a much more difficult and expensive task.

Intel has a good picture of this here (scroll down to the improving board layouts sub-section):
http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/Fully-buffered-DIMM-0305.htm

And then there's the whole heat sink thing.... Just get the certified RAM from OWC. Lifetime replacement. You won't regret it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.