Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I have a Mac Pro Mid 2010 that I use at home.

I'm looking to use my Apple earbuds with it like I do with my 15" Macbook Pro Retina 2014 notebook.

The Macbook Pro has a headset jack that doubles as an audio input interface. The Mac Pro does have a headphone jack but its not the same interface as the notebook so I can't use the microphone.

Is there a USB adapter I can pickup to give me this functionality?

I do a lot of Facetime calls and would love to have a working solution so I don't have to keep a USB headset around. The earbuds are so much easier to leave in for hours at a time.

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
USA
You can get a USB audio device with two 3-pole connectors (one is stereo speaker and the other is mic) and a 4-pole to two 3-pole cable for about $7 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Adapter-Windows-AU-MMSA/dp/B00IRVQ0F8

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-MUYHSFMM-Headset-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B0058DOWH6

This has a high probability of introducing noise due to poorly made adapters. I wanted to avoid that. If you don't use the headset for work this probably won't be as big of a concern and your right your option might be able to save a few bucks.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
going through amazon would give you the option of returning them until you get something that doesnt have a problem. Startech cables are generally of high quality - even if they have a problem StarTech's support is excellent.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
This has a high probability of introducing noise due to poorly made adapters. I wanted to avoid that. If you don't use the headset for work this probably won't be as big of a concern and your right your option might be able to save a few bucks.

I use this exact cable adapter and I don't feel it is poorly made nor does it introduce any noise that I can detect. The headset is a Sennheiser Momentum. I do use it for work, but I don't see what that has to do with anything? I don't think noise would be acceptable in a home environment either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.