Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wind Wheel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
I used my old Mac pro 2010 so long time. Huge data stored on the drive. So I'm unwilling to change it.
But it becomes slower and slower as the years go. How to make it faster even a little bit. Any software recommendations? Or do I have to replace some parts?
Limited budget of $300.?Hope COVID-19 will go away soon.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
If you want to get some useful suggestions, you have to provide the correct details in the correct forum.

1) Your title indicate it's about Mac Pro 7,1, but you said Macbook pro 2010.

2) Your post #1 then further mentioned Mac Pro 2012

Please tell us which Mac you are asking about. A simply way would be post your About This Mac to here.

e.g.
Mojave native.png

Last edited:

codehead1

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
A Samsung EVO SSD (first 840 then 850) extended the life of my 2009 Mac Pro till recently. So cheap these days for 1 TB, stupid cheap for 500 MB if you can live with that (I see $150 and $80 respectively, for 860 EVO). You didn't say what kind of drive you have in there, but SSD is a cheap (super cheap now) way to extend the life if you're still using HDD.

wind Wheel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
If you want get some useful suggestions, you have to provide the correct details in the correct forum.

1) Your title indicate it's about Mac Pro 7,1, but you said Macbook pro 2010.

2) Your post #1 then further mentioned Mac Pro 2012

Please tell us which Mac you are asking about. A simply way would be post your About This Mac to here.

e.g.
View attachment 921463
?correct to 2010. too many years ... sorry abt that
[automerge]1591254837[/automerge]
A Samsung EVO SSD (first 840 then 850) extended the life of my 2009 Mac Pro till recently. So cheap these days for 1 TB, stupid cheap for 500 MB if you can live with that (I see $150 and $80 respectively, for 860 EVO). You didn't say what kind of drive you have in there, but SSD is a cheap (super cheap now) way to extend the life if you're still using HDD.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
[automerge]1591254837[/automerge]

You still not even tell use your exact computer model. How can we help?

2010 Mac Pro, or 2010 Macbook Pro?

If that's a 2010 Mac Pro, then please upgrade the bootROM to 144.0.0.0.0, get yourself a 2TB NVMe, buy a Radeon VII, upgrade the CPU to dual X5690 with 8x16GB RAM, then make a clean 10.14.6 installation.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Maybe it's also a good idea to describe a bit the way you use it e.g. data storage, video editing etc.
A description of the Hardware, the OS and the software you're using, may be helpful for the reader to get a overview of the most effective upgrades in this case.

Reactions: h9826790

wind Wheel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2020
You still not even tell use your exact computer model. How can we help?

2010 Mac Pro, or 2010 Macbook Pro?

If that's a 2010 Mac Pro, then please upgrade the bootROM to 144.0.0.0.0, get yourself a 2TB NVMe, buy a Radeon VII, upgrade the CPU to dual X5690 with 8x16GB RAM, then make a clean 10.14.6 installation.
? It seems to require a lot of money... I suppose the RAM and SSD upgrade is what I can afford for.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
? It seems to require a lot of money... I suppose the RAM and SSD upgrade is what I can afford for.
Please tell us your computer's full spec!!!

e.g. if you already have 64GB or RAM, further upgrade to 128GB may not helps (depends on usage).

If you told us nothing, then we can only gives you some very generic suggestions. Which seems out of your budget. That's just a waste of time.

Tell us your computer's full spec and usage!!!!!

Reactions: MarkC426

MVMNT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I think I figured out his problem! :oops:
View attachment 921699

And you're running a 3.1? Glass houses my friend.

It sounds to me like the OP has never upgraded their machine. So the system drive will be a spinning plate.

If file management is an issue, buy a 500GB SSD (and a 2.5" bay adaptor sled) a PCIe NVME solution will eat up too much budget.

Fresh install MacOS on there - maybe go for High Sierra first as you may be running an unsupported graphics card.

Use that as your startup disk and then manage the files separately on your original HD from there. Maybe spend some of your budget on an external HD or off site cloud backup solution.

See what that does first, and you know your files are safe at least.

RAM or CPU will then be your next upgrade path. But with no spec it's hard to comment further.

Last edited:
Reactions: OkiRun

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
And you're running a 3.1? Glass houses my friend.

Yes! Glass houses are unbelievably stunning! Picture a 7,1 in this setting! :cool:
3fd2c2e3-418b-4f87-9262-2dfaba687497-east hamptons exterior.jpg

As far as "running a 3,1" what are the limitations? Oh! It depends on the type of work and the product quality one is trying to obtain with said 3,1!

Let's start with the field of music. Maybe the most demanding segment would be scoring with tons of trks and efx. NI libraries like Spitfire, LASS, Albion and Berlin Strings are pretty much RAM bassed. So with enough RAM, a fast large x-amount TB RAID it's done every day. The efx such as UAD's Shadow Hills, SSL channel strips, Neve channel strips, Pultec Pro, LA2A, 1176, Ocean Way, Capitol Records, Lexicon 480L etc are all powered by UAD hardware. There is no stress on the CPU.

The world of video is an entirely different beast. SD, HD 2K-8K. What is doable depends on your approach and research. Proxy anyone? So for arguments sake we will say the OP's is into editing. Started out with SD and as time goes on enters the world of 6K Dragon. Depending on the technique and app used the 5,1 would have the appearance of slowing down. Was the slowing in play back, rendering or both? If Premiere was used then enough CUDA cores could have offset things. If any version of AVID was used the OP should have been reading in the AVID forums how years of code have been piled on an ancient engine. Was an export of an AAF file and import into Davinci (CUDA) for delivery the solution?

And yes I am running a 3,1! On the Hiphop-Rap scene the "artist" Cardi B's video I like It has 1.1 Billion views on YouTube. What kind of computer was the music produced on? What kind of computer was the video edited on? What kind of computer was used to edit the video of the three tenors (Pavarotti, Domingo, Carreras)? Correct! That info is not posted and none of the viewers asked in the comments section. I could go from genre to genre with the same results.

The best response in this thread was "Tell us your computer's full spec and usage!!!!!" by h9826790

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.