Mac Pro: Mini Displayport to DVI, HDMI or Displayport

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Kravik, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Kravik macrumors newbie

I have an ATI Radeon 4870HD graphics card which has a Mini Displayport and a Dual-Link DVI port.

I'm connecting this to two Dell U2410 which each have a Displayport, HDMI ,DVI and VGA ports.

I can connect one of the monitors straight to the DVI port, but what should I do with the other? I can't find a Mini Displayport to Displayport adapter for sale in the UK. But there are Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters and Mini Displayport to DVI adapters available.

Also, would it be best to have both monitors on the same connection? If i go the HDMI route should I buy a DVI to HDMI adapter for the other port? Or have both on DVI? Will there be a visible difference between the monitors if they're not on the same type of connection?

Which would be best for graphics, 3D production rather than HDTV movie watching?

Do these questions makes any sense?
    Hope so.
    Thanks.

2. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Monoprice doesn't ship to the UK?

My suggestion would be to try and find a reseller who does ship to the UK to get a MDP to DP cable, or failing that, enlist the aid of somebody stateside. Maybe a MR member would be willing to buy and reship, for free or for tip.

3. Kravik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response.

Monoprice does ship to the UK, but $4.50 for the adapter + $26.00 Shipping + unknown duties and taxes, seems a bit excessive. Unless MDP to DP is definitely the best way to go?

I read somewhere that Displayport is just a licensed version of HDMI.

If someone could give me a more comprehensive answer, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No, it is it's own spec, separate from HDMI. MDP-DP is definitely the cleanest and simplest way to to go. Though there may not be a substantial difference in picture quality over MDP-DVI. MDP-HDMI would be the same signal as the DVI adapter, but since the HDMI connector doesn't lock, I'd go with DVI instead. VGA is analog, and DVI is generally better.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Definitely stick with DP. It is by far and away the cleanest solution because all the other signals require conversion; it's not electrically the same as DVI/HDMI and DP offers its own advantages you don't want to give up if you don't have to. Like I said, if you can find someone here to ship it to you for a tip or a favor...you'd save a good $15 at least and it would become the cheapest solution as well.

6. Kravik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you The Strudel and J the Ninja.

After further searching I found an MDP to DP adapter available in the UK, through www.lindy.co.uk, never heard of them, but they seem to have been around for a while. So gave it a whirl.

Cheers.

7. Kravik thread starter macrumors newbie

Just in case anyone is interested in buying one of theses adapters, mine arrived this morning from Lindy, hooked it up, works no problem.

8. tri3limited macrumors 6502

For UK cables and adaptors Lindy, CPC-Farnell and Maplin are definitely the way to go, with CPC usually being the cheapest although a far more random range.