Mac Pro Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rrijkers, Oct 6, 2007.

?

Mac Pro Mini

1. Good idea

50 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Bad idea

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. Don't care

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. Other (please comment)

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

I would love to see a cheap desktop from Apple. One that has a tower which gives you normal expanding options, adding a second harddrive and install some custom PCI cards... One that gives you the option to swap the optical drive or adding a second GFX card.

Sounds good or maybe it will canabalize the Mac Pro? I don't think so, just add a cheaper desktop MB and Chipset.

:apple::confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's a thing called search in the forum menu bar. Do it next time. The headless iMac is one of the major rant-worthy topics on this forum. Rant-worthy, but it always degenerates into the dreamers and the purists.

To recap, Apple isn't going to make a headless iMac. There are no plans for such in the near future, nor in the nearish future. Apple will only make one if they feel that they wish to enter that market, and as it is a small one at best, it is not likely.

Having three consumer desktops isn't too far flung, if anyone can remember the days of the Quadras, Performas, and Centris'. Still, Steve's never liked the idea of end-user upgrades, so it's highly unlikely that we'll see a new Mac based around that idea enter the market any time soon. Especially as it would only be brought on by the influence of a group of end-users.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Right on. Many threads have talked about this topic and they usually go on for pages and pages. Search the forums and you'll be able to find all the good and bad things that have been said. I want a headless Mac too, but have long since understood that Apple won't make one. The best thing to do is find an old PowerPC G5 tower for cheap, or spring for the MacPro if you want to upgrade. Or, give up on wanting to upgrade your Mac and get the lovely but closed off iMac.

In then end those options aren't that bad. And to tell you the truth, getting a Windows box is something plenty of Mac users have done.

4. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Sorry for not searching I currently do not need to update my mac at all, but I like to see the option where I can just add stuff myself if f/e the gfx card gets outdated :)

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

And that's why apple won't do it.

As of now, you can either buy a mac pro (in which case apple makes a lot of money) but keep it for years, or buy an imac/mini (in which case apple makes not so much money) and have to replace it sooner.

Giving you the option to buy a low/mid range computer that you can keep for years and keep upgrading with 3rd party upgrades doesn't do a lot for apple's bottom line.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Don't sweat the Search Police.

Yeah, a Mac Mini with dual-link DVI would be a dream come true.

7. serpent macrumors member

I actually think that Apple's offerings Totally Suck!
    I really don't care whether it is user upgradable or not, but there is nothing inbetween a mini and a mac pro. Period. I don't need an all-in-one that the iMac is, nor do I need dual CPU's that the "Way Overpriced" mac pro is. I want a machine that I can play an occasional game on and do the rest of the things that an average computer user uses a computer for. Size I couldn't give a damn about either.
    A single Cpu machine capable of upto 4gb's ram a dedicated video card 256 0r 512mb and a few drive bays for storage thrown into a mac pro case would be fine, with an entry price of around $1200 would be perfect.
    I'm sure there are plenty of mac users that would die for a machine like this!
    So SJ and Apple Inc., why don't you leave the mini's and the macbooks for students and 1st time buyers. The MBP's and Mac Pro's for your Professional Customers and iMac's for your All-in-One users. And Give the Rest-of-Us what We Want! A reasonably priced machine that can play C & C 3 and also grow a bit in an age where technology changes almost daily!

Serpent

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks like the GMA X3100 is capped at 2048x1536 just like the GMA 950.

9. thxdave macrumors member

I don't care as long as it doesn't delay the intro of an updated Mac Pro.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Why dual? Cause the vid system in the mini (or any on motherboard vid systems) would royally suck at driving a 30 inch LCD.

11. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

Sounds well good! Dual processor would be even better, there are some cheaper ption for this instaid of the penryn xeons! :)

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

That's funny. I am running a 30" ACD off my MBP 2.33 and it is running fine.

13. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Dude, not even the Mac Pro has this option at the moment...

14. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

MBP + Mini = Not the same. Not sure if you were aware or not, but your MBP has a dedicated graphics card and the Mini doesn't.

I'd really like to see an actual Mac Desktop! No laptop parts, no workstations. Pentium Dual-Core processors are more than adequate and a billion times less expensive than the Xeons in the Mac Pros. How about some consumer parts for consumer's computers.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It usually feels good when I'm right. Not this time, though. The above posts are the beginning of a new march in the footsteps of their predecessors...

Sure, Apple would be appealing to a fuller market with a headless iMac; and I'm all for increasing their marketshare, but IT. WON'T. HAPPEN. THIS. DECADE. :rolleyes: Seriously.

There needs to be a definitive Headless iMac thread somewhere on the forum where people can throw ideas back and forth. It needs to be STICKIED, because speculation is fun... when it's not in five hundred separate threads.

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Wow... we have all been there and done that already. Then we all got over it and realized that Apple's marketshare is growing either way. Most pros don't sweat the small stuff and most consumers are more than happy. Those of us in between take either side or get on the M$ bandwagon.

My best offer to you my friend is finding your own path.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Especially since it was the last decade that Apple made the headless iMac G5 ... OK not that long ago.

Machine was problematic, expensive, and stuffed in a PowerMac G5 case. Though it was based on the consumer chipset found in the iMac G5, and the headless iMac people crave now.

Sold like a turd.

Something the current iMac is unlikely to repeat since it is bases on the laptop chipset, and people are looking for more RAM and the desktop CPUs. and the workstation chipset and CPUs as and option are too expensive.

To the OP...

Check back when Apple adds desktop CPUs and chipsets to the iMac, or adds a new consumer desktop lineup.

But Apple does need the middle machine with more CPU grunt and 8-16GB of memory.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree with you... but the iMacs are doing very well. In fact Apple has never sold so many machines based on laptop parts. Come to think of it... many consumers are trading up their desktops for laptops anyway, so I speculate that no one really cares too much about workstation anything except us power hungry smucks in the small market we own. In the end, I say get the MacPro.

It won't have 8-16GB. Not too many manufacturers give that to us anyway, along with a price tag at around $1200, it ain't happening. If it had 4GB then we are getting somewhere.

19. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Agree about the $1200 price tag, if they are going all quad core then expect closer to $1500-$2000. 8GB of memory is certainly a possibility though, would be a joke to cripple a desktop systemboard with only two memory slots. Unless there is some confuision over whether we are talking about how much memory a sytem will come with as standard, which in that case it's still going to be 2GB for sometime.

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Of course I am aware of that, but this thread on a Mac Pro Mini is suggesting a Mac in a Mini-ish format that, among other things, will allow you to add PCI graphics cards.

21. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

That's the whole point lol, the case is Way to big, the price is Way too high... There's got to come something in between... :mad:

22. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I long for this type of computer. My iMac is starting to chug in the GFX department, not that it ever flew along anyways and I'd <3 a Conroe (or better) chip in there as well.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You're right. I could see 8GB tops.

Yeah. I remember the mockups of the G5 mini tower that was just half the height of the case. It looked like a stumpy G5. I think it would take Apple some time to consider doing that to the MacPro, cutting half of everything out of the case and making a mini tower, but Apple will be Apple.

Honestly. Most of us could go for an iMac with an exchangeable GFX card. HDDs, and memory really isn't the problem.

24. rrijkers thread starter macrumors 6502

rrijkers

It is not about a small sized thing, it is more about an exchangeble and smaller priced and smaller performance (as MP) system. :rolleyes:

25. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

If there is a MacPro Mini, I don't want the MacPro prices to sky rocket.