Mac Pro minor upgrade soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by renault4, Jun 30, 2008.

1. renault4 macrumors regular

My local supplier (a university bookstore) has had Mac Pros on backorder for a few weeks and is not expecting delivery for a couple of weeks more; is there any "chatter in the channels" about an upgrade in the works? I doubt they would go to Nehalem yet, so, if real, this would likely be a minor refresh to the existing line: maybe upping clock speed in otherwise standard configuration?

thanks for any info.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The greatest likelihood is WWDC 2009. Nothing will happen before Nehalem.

3. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Oh dear. Hope not. I was toying with the idea of getting one in January at MacWorld. Was hoping it'd be updated by then...

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I thought there was a small chance Nehalem would come by Macworld 2009...

5. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

dude you just have your mind set about WWDC 2009, don't you?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Beckton is Nehalem with FB-DIMMs. It comes out Q2 2009. It only makes sense.

7. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

and dude, you live on this forum, ain't you?

well... let's see what is going to happen in the next two months. I think they will have something before the back to school deal ends. not a mac pro, maybe something else...

you are the weather man. what do you think.

8. debreu macrumors newbie

Hope upgrade happens

I hope the upgrade, either a speed bump or the move to Nehalem, happens soon. I need some processing power soon, and I would hate to invest in a Mac Pro that was updated 6 months ago!

:apple:

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

August, a 60% chance of a MacBook/MacBook Pro Montevina update. In September we'll see the iPods as we always do. Partly cloudy for much of the region in October, November, and December, with a clearing up around January in time for the MacWorld MacBook Air update. Early next spring will bring Nehalem iMacs, while later in the season we'll see Nehalem MacBook Pros. Summer will really heat it up with a simultaneous Snow Leopard and Nehalem Mac Pro release at WWDC.

That concludes your forecast for today, I'm Tallest Skil, stay tuned for more LOGICAL and reasonable predictions from The Psywave Corporation.

10. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

exactly, i will not throw my money on that. you don't invest a 6 months old mac pro. 3 months? sure, i'd go for it.

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Intel is not releasing any new CPUs that are compatible with the current Mac Pro, so the only options there will remain 2.8GHz, 3.0GHz or 3.2GHz.

So if we see an update, it will be to increase the standard RAM or HDD space, unless they're going to sneak in a Blu-Ray option.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

So this means Apple's moving back to PowerPC right?

13. kabunaru Guest

If anything, more RAM, bigger storage Hard Drives and/or Blu-ray drive.

I wish they did.

14. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

I was just browsing through the Apple store and noticed that the standard configuration was now 3.0GHz; a choice of dual 2.8Ghz quad core chips actually involved a price subtraction from the standard configuration:

is this new?

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I believe this would be new. I haven't checked... US Apple store?

16. kabunaru Guest

It's not happening for me in the U.S. Store? Is this UK, Australian or any other country thing then?

17. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

No, they will be moving on to Intel's Nehalem microarchitecture sometime in the next six to eighteen months (hopefully sooner).

18. osin macrumors 6502

19. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, I went back to the apple store and sure enough, the configuration page for the Mac Pro indeed reflected the 2.8Ghz as standard configuration. It so happens I still had the tab open from when where I was there the first time--here is a screenshot....

Attached Files:

20. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Although pairing up Snow Leopard and a new Mac Pro makes sense, I very strongly doubt that they will upgrade iMacs to Nehalem before the Mac Pro. Why would they ever want to sell an iMac more powerful than the current Mac Pro they're selling?

I think Apple always wants the Mac Pro to be the most powerful computer in their line. So I'd expect an earlier Mac Pro update or a later iMac update.

21. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

lets see more in that screen shot..with price, etc

22. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Since it was a temporary glitch, I doubt he can. But if they're doing a "silent update", the price is probably the same with just a higher default proc and maybe more ram.

23. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

he could if he left the tab open, or saved in as a file on his comp..just seems like he's leg pulling..hence why he left out the price. bc a 4 core MP for 1,499 seems a bit...cheap...

speaking of which.. go ahead, try it.. all you have to do to get the same screen he had a screen shot of is click on the 3.0 option....

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Eh.... because it wouldn't be. Unless Nehalem exceeds expectations, there is no way that a laptop processor could outpace the current Penryn Xeon. And they already did...almost. The PowerMac G5 was quickly being overshadowed by the Intel Macs in its last days.

The current 3.06 iMac is still benchmarked lower than the single 2.8 Mac Pro by a decent amount. Nehalem will bring the top of the line to just under the 3.0, and then the Nehalem Mac Pros will restore order.

25. renault4 thread starter macrumors regular

actually, I got it wrong and misread how the radio buttons operate when you select a particular configuration--the 2.8 is still the standard configuration.

my apologies, I was not trying to fool anyone!