mac pro mod

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ja14, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ja14 macrumors newbie

i just bought a 2006 quad core 2.66ghz mac pro. What are my options as far as top of the line processors? Theres no way to do a 16 core is there? does it accept a 12 core? obviously ill need a new motherboard for this. also whats the best quad core i could upgrade to? thanks

2. applegeek897 macrumors regular

X5355

The best thing to do is put two intel xeon x5355's for some 8 core power

3. peabo macrumors regular

The best chips you can put in there are two xeon X5365s for a total of 8 cores at 3 Ghz. These chips are all based on the old Core2 technology though so they won't be as fast as the processors in the current Mac Pros.

4. ja14 thread starter macrumors newbie

i think i might do that. are there any other parts that need to be upgraded once I've installed the new processors.

5. peabo macrumors regular

a Radeon HD5870 would be the fastest GPU it will take. And it can handle up to 32GB of RAM.

6. Amjith macrumors newbie

Re:mac pro

After being inspired by AquaMacs great Mac Pro case mod i joined up in his forum and began my own.. My goal was to create a OSX86 Mac Pro using all the Apple cooling found in the real deal. Aqua Mac has been a really big help providing me with wiring diagrams and help when i needed it most! Its far from done but looking great.Thanks and Regards.