Mac Pro Motherboards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by r0ger, Feb 6, 2010.

1. r0ger macrumors newbie

Do all flavors of current Mac Pro use the same motherboard?
    i.e. same one for bottom of range and top of range?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. But the CPUs and memory are mounted on a slide-in daughter board which varies between the 4 and 8 core models.

3. r0ger thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the single processor model have the daughterboard as well, (unpopulated).?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is a single daughterboard. It is not the same between the single and dual CPU machines: the single CPU machines do not have an unpopulated CPU socket. If you buy a single CPU machine and want to upgrade it to dual CPU you would need to find a dual-CPU daughterboard (Apple do not sell them to consumers) as well as the extra CPU and an extra heatsink (again Apple do not sell them). You cannot easily use other parts: the daughterboards and heatsinks are unique Apple parts.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even the dual processor CPU is a custom Apple part since it does not have an integrated heat-spreader. Of course you can make do with a regular processor, but you risk damaging the socket which does not have a CPU clamp either.

6. r0ger thread starter macrumors newbie

So it appears to mean that the processor choice you start with is what you are stuck with. I had hoped that going in at an entry level model, I could later on say 2-3 years, purchase a CPU and sink and improve it a modest cost so as to make the investment last longer.
    I am retired so I tend to think long term now.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

In 2-3 years the CPUs that fit those sockets will be out of production anyway (Intel change sockets every 18 months or so) and you would be looking on eBay. So, really, this changes nothing with regards to that.