Mac Pro Mouse of choice

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bozz2006, Mar 30, 2010.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Hey everyone. I recently gave up on my Mighty Mouse, basically because the scroll ball kept getting more and more erratic, and my wife got sick of accidentally pushing the side buttons and accessing dashboard (though this was never a problem for me, it annoyed the heck out of her). I have been using a Kensington Si670m that I bought a few years ago, but I remember why I didn't like it the first time; poor bluetooth connection and no programability. I recently picked up a Magic Mouse, and while the bluetooth connection is rock-solid and I like the scrolling and the ability to page forward/back with swipes, I'm just not in love with it. It isn't quite as effective as the multitouch trackpad on my aluminum macbook.

So, what are your suggestions? I want:
    1) solid wireless connection
    2) ability to program buttons
    3) ease of use for work in photoshop and illustrator on my mac pro, where i won't accidentally access the multi-function button presets and mess up my workflow.

2. grue macrumors 65816

Logitech MX Revolution: Best mouse ever made.

3. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

feelings on the Logitech performance mouse mx? looks like they don't make the mx revolution anymore.

4. Hmac macrumors 68020

Every time I buy a new Mac, the first thing I do is pitch the Apple mouse and replace it with whatever Logitech mouse I've been using. IMHO, it's the only way to go. They are truly plug and play, no driver installation, buttons all work as soon as you plug it in.\

From a comfort standpoint, that's a personal decision. Best to go to Best Buy and handle them. I used the M500 for a couple of years and always liked it. I recently switched to the G500 gaming mouse because of the darkfield laser (works better on my desk surface).

5. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

have you tried the Logitech performance MX, Hmac?

6. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Have to disagree with you. I've been through the last few Logitech revisions.

MX1000
    MX Revolution
    Performance Mouse MX

Out of the three, the MX Revolution mouse was the worst. Maybe I got a bad one, but it felt like junk compared to the others. Scroll wheel was wonky, sometimes it'd just start to scroll when I'd be navigating. It was very touchy, in a bad way.

Performance Mouse MX feels solid. It's got some heft to it, doesn't feel cheap. I'd recommend it.

Not entirely true, but LCC fills in the gaps.

7. eodp3 macrumors member

I had the MX Revolution and the battery is dead.
    Logitech really cheaped out on the battery for that model.
    Also, for some reason, I felt it lacked "precision" .. lacked some responsiveness , for lack of a better word.

8. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

9. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Logitech Control Centre

I'm sure you could use something like USBoverdrive too.

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

Not the current one, but they had a similar form factor a couple of years ago, which I used and liked.

As to drivers, I've haven't found it necessary to install any software or drivers(for a Logitech mouse) in the last couple of years. As I said, all the buttons work, have never had to use Logitech Control Center. I do have to install software for the Logitech game pad and gaming keyboard that I use.

11. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I went ahead and ordered the Logitech Performance mouse MX from Amazon. $79.99 + $6 shipping - $15 mail in rebate, comes out to basically same price as the Magic Mouse. I hope I like it.

12. eodp3 macrumors member

Steermouse is pretty good. I use it because I can customize each and every button.

13. akadmon macrumors 68020

Strange question to ask:confused: Why would the choice depend on what machine you're using? What works for an iMac works for a MP.

I have the Logitcech Perfomance Mouse MX and like it a lot. It felt a little big in my hand at first, but I got used to it quickly.

14. Sumimasen macrumors member

I used to use a Logitech mouse and it was nice. I recently switched to a Razer DeathAdder Mac Edition though, and this thing is simply the nicest mouse I have ever used.

If you specifically want a wireless mouse, or are left handed, it's not for you, but otherwise it's stunning. The PC version will work also, with the Mac drivers downloadable from the Razer web site.

It's also a perfect match for my new Intuos 4 tablet - looks wise they look like they were designed for each other!

15. SmellyTofu macrumors member

I'm using a Logitech whatever-cheap-mouse-that-I-use-on-a-PC does the trick for me. The Magic Mouse is too flat to be ergonomic but the swipe function is fantastic but it sucks with just going to Google Map where the zoom in/out function is too sensitive. The wired Mighty Mouse is also crap. Too flat and the scroll thing is all too complex.

Btw, on the topic of mices and in particular the magic mouse. Has anyone noticed the tracking and operation of the mouse slows down when you're doing some mega intense work? I know it's the wrong forum to talk about it but it happens on my Mac Mini whenever I'm doing something half decent.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I moved from a Logitech MX Revolution to a Performance Mouse MX. Both are great. I like the Lithium ion battery on the Revolution, but right now I don't use the rechargeable battery on the Performance because replacing them with AA batteries bought from Costco in a 48-pack once a week is so much easier.

I also love the new nano receiver which works great because I can plug it into the back of my Mac Pro (which sits about 4 feet away) and still have a lag-free experience using the mouse.

Logitech replaced the annoying quick search button on the Revolution with a mechanical toggle that allows you to switch between the free super fast scroll and the regular notched scroll. And yes the Performance does work on glass like they advertised. Quite handy when I needed to use the mouse on a glass hotel room table.

As for Photoshop, I would seriously recommend a Wacom tablet. Will do wonders for your workflow.

17. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Is it easy to configure the buttons? I want to be able to open dashboard by clicking the scroll wheel and expose' all windows by the thumb button. And I assume the forward/backward buttons work in web browsing?

18. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

19. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm a big fan of the Logitech MX/VX series. Simply the best general purpose mice made, at least for me. I use the MX and VX Revolutions and will probably switch up to the new MX Performance soon.

Gaming, I stick with Razers.

Both, I use Steermouse.

20. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

I had a Revolution MX for a few years and like it okay, but didn't like the touchy cradle for charging, and not being able to use the mouse when it died while it recharged. The icing on the cake was when it eventually just stopped working all-together, which was disappointing. All-in-all the Revolution was not a great mouse, but it was a good mouse. When I replaced it, I got the Logitech Performance MX mouse, and fell in love.

The Logitech Performance MX mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. Very nice design, wireless, great USB receiver, plug and play charging while using, highly accurate, extremely comfortable, looks great on your desk.

The buttons are very easy to program, just open your Dashboard and Expose system panels and set each command to be triggered by a button. The MX Performance has 16 buttons to do things with - very powerful and customizable.

You will love this mouse.

21. iimpact macrumors newbie

22. Norskman macrumors member

Norskman

Logitech is also known for taking care of their customers. You could write to them through their support section online with serial etc of mouse. Who knows, they might just send you a brand new one.

23. bluesteel macrumors 6502

Logitech MX Revolution or Performance Mouse MX.

24. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

25. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

the performance mx is great. I've had mone for a few months and as previously stated at first it seems a bit big but after using it for a day or two you'll wonder how you got along without it. The hand conforms nicely (but not made for lefties). It tracks very very well, the buttons are easy to program (I have the zoom button set to activate the volume in itunes for example). only issue I find is the battery life is meh (I charge it about once very 1-2 weeks), not too much of a problem for me because it is on my desktop and I can plug it in anytime I need to (and keep using it) but it just cannot compete with my vx revolution which gets like 6 months per battery... but on the whole def. the best mouse I've ever purchased, well worth the money (other than my vx which I use with my mbp) you'll enjoy it:D