Mac Pro nearly 5 years old

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by unglued, Oct 15, 2018.

1. unglued macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I was at Apple’s website and the Mac Pro specs seems up to date, did they do upgrades since 2013? I’m thinking to buy one new or from the Apple refurb but afraid it will outdate itself quickly. I’ve only used MacBook Pro’s in the past. How much will price drop approximately when the new Mac Pro comes out?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro
    It says that it is about 5 years since the last update. It is already outdated, so as soon as the new model drops these ones will quickly lose value (if they still have any value). Unless you get a good deal, it doesn't seem worth it.

3. unglued thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the link, pricing does seem ridiculous for its age but at the same time the components are not too bad, I’m stuck in the middle. I think I will wait for the new one but in the meantime look for a deal. I really like the cylinder design but I know many hardcore users here don’t care for it.

4. pl1984 macrumors 68020

As already mentioned it is approaching five years since it was released and the technology used for it predated its release. If you want a Mac Pro with modern technology you'll have to wait for the next version. The 6,1 Mac Pro is a nice system for what it is but I think the price is out of line given its age. Currently it's a poor value.

5. DPUser macrumors 6502a

Also, replacement of those proprietary 6,1 GPUs is RIDICULOUSLY expensive; little bang for the (big) buck.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Except for the Xeon CPUs.

When the MP6,1 was announced (in June '13) the E5-v2 CPUs were not yet available. The CPUs were released in Q3'13, so when the 6,1 shipped at the very, very end of '13 it had the latest CPUs.

8. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Hell, if a decent mini drops this month the nMP used prices (should) plummet.