Mac Pro Nehalem won't start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phoneorpda, Oct 8, 2009.

1. phoneorpda macrumors regular

Hello all,

i thought i'd post here to see if i could get some help before bringing the computer in for repair.

My 2009 2.26 octo Mac Pro stopped working this morning, as it doesn't boot up:
    All i get is the video card fan spinning, a red light at the bottom of the right processor heatsink (top of the ram slot-4) and another red light in the back of the left heatsink (i can see it from the front of the Mac Pro).
    I tried and reseated all the ram chips and took them out to see if one in particular was the culprit, but no luck.
    I also removed the PC cards i had installed (an Apogee Symphony card and a UAD 2 DSP card).

Still nothing.

I have an appointment at the genius bar later on this evening but wanted to get some help here, if possible...

Hopefully somebody will have some clues!

thanks in advance,

A>

2. phoneorpda thread starter macrumors regular

I also noticed another red light by the back fan (which doesn't turn on).

hope this adds to the mystery...

3. phoneorpda thread starter macrumors regular

upon further inspection none of the RAM LEDs are lighting up...it's the LEDS on the mother board and daughterboard, near the processors...the fan from the videocard spins up, but the other fans are silent.
    The computer shuts down after 3 seconds form being turned on, and will try to reboot itself non stop, unless i unplug the cord....AAAAHHHH

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Have you already tried PRAM and SMU reset? Can you boot it up using firewire transfer to another Intel Mac?

Those lights sound ominous. If it's a 2009 it's got to be under Applecare right? Get that Mac Pro to the shop post haste.

5. phoneorpda thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

Apparently the processor daughtercard failed, so they are replacing it.