Mac Pro New hard drive migration

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kuhl, Sep 4, 2013.

1. kuhl macrumors newbie

Hi everyone first time posting and my computer skills are not the best so this may be a simple answer, but: I have a MacPro 3,1 (early 2008) Quad-core 2.8 GHz, and I just installed a second hard drive (WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III) and formatted it to Mac OS Extended (journaled) and then I Zeroed out the Data.

The computer now can read/write to the disk like it's an external HD, but I would like to migrate the contents of my 300 GB HD in Bay1 to the new HD in Bay 2 and set it as the startup disk. Is there anyway to do a migration from one internal HD to another? I have several back up drives with Time Machine images of the smaller drive but I couldn't figure out how to make a copy of it with all the programs, OS and files intact.

Thanks!!

2. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi,

Welcome to the boards!

Here you go (the last bit will be important to have your system point to the new hard drive):

As with most Mac things, this is fairly straightforward - just follow the instructions and you'll be laughing :)

http://nyacomputing.com/how-to-create-a-bootable-clone-of-your-mac-hard-drive/

Once you have the new one chosen as the main hard drive, I would back it up to an external hard drive with Time Machine then wipe the 2nd hard drive to use as whatever.

Cheers,
    keebler

3. Ed Miliband macrumors member

i would think you can do this with no problems