Mac Pro next update coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RedFoxy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RedFoxy macrumors newbie

Hi all!
    I want buy a Mac Pro with 2 xeon, but looking and reading on the net I think that Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro will be update soon.

Like, on the Apple store, last week, when I tried to bought a Mac Pro, the store told me that I must wait 2 weeks for my order... Now, if you try to buy a mac pro the store say that it is ready to be sent.

- All Mac Pro configurations haven't included Magic Mouse, it's only an option
    - New intel cpu 6 core are released by Intel
    - New, professional, advanced communication system was showed by Apple and Intel
    - A financing in ten months without fee that finish at January

There are other little things that make me to think that Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro series will be update at the end of January or at February... There are some rumors about it or no?

Is it better wait new year to buy my Mac Pro or not?

I know that a Mac Pro it's always a powerful Mac but I'll be sad if I'll buy a mac for a $3000 and a new version comes out just some days later... Like when I bought my Mac Book Pro late 2007... After I bought it a new version was released...

Thank's and sorry for my bad english

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Yes, wait until the new ones come out. It should be a few months away.

However, if you really need it right now, as always, get what you can now.

3. akadmon Suspended

Wait for the 6-core MP (or 12-core if you can afford it). Just be prepared to pay more for the next gen MP than what you can buy the current models for.

The days of a $2499 MPs are over! The $2199 i7 iMac has pulled too close to an entry level Mac Pro. Apple has no choice but to load up the next MP with differentiating tech, which is bound to increase their cost. Unless Apple is willing to lower their margins on the MPs, this will result in higher prices for the consumers. A lot of people who would have bought a low end Mac Pro a few months ago, are buying the i7 iMacs. Apple is fine with that. They'll make up their losses (not really "losses", since Apple still gets the sale) by raising the price for the hardcore MP users who are looking to replace their 1st and 2nd generation MPs. It's a win-win proposition for SJ :)

4. RedFoxy thread starter macrumors newbie

iMac have a really good monitor included in the price, mac pro need and external monitor ;)

I can wait to buy a MP but, if wait Jan to buy a new mac, or Feb... Maybe that the new version comes out later... Now, or I'll buy a MP now or I wait next gen of MP to be sure... But wait for waiting is useless if a new MP doesn't come out soon. I don't know if I explain well

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Intel just say it will release in the first half of the year, other sources cite the second quarter. Apple may get it one month before again, but I really wouldn't expect anything within a year of the last product (march 3rd).

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If you don't absolutely need the upgradability of the Mac Pro, there is no point in getting it. The i7 iMac is a substantially better value, and even outperforms the current MP. Even when Gulftown is used in a new gen of MPs, the only OS X apps that will be able to reflect the processor change are Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio because of their multithreaded work. This has been proven in early benchmarks of i9. That being said, I will still consider upgrading my MP because of the other upgrades that might coincide (RAM speed/max amount, SATA controller etc.) :D

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

OP: mind telling us what you will be using the MP for so we can give better opinions?:p

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The value statement may be true but I would very much doubt that the i7 iMac outperforms the MacPro4,1 in any relevant category. Top iMacs geekbench under 9,000 IMO while top MP systems top out close to 19,000.

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The i7 iMac is almost even with the Quad MacPro 2.66GHz.
    But no way it can outperform a 8-core MacPro of the current generation.

I've got the smallest Octad which makes over 13,000 points in geekbench.

Of course the iMac is faster in single threaded applications, but I gees no one who buys an octad Pro uses single threaded apps most of the time.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

slight mistake there, under 64-bit the top iMacs get ~9,500. clearly more then the 2.66quad xeon MPs. the gulftown processors will of course change this though and i think thats why apple has implemented it even though the two computer currently have similar computing power WRT CPU.

11. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Oh well, but 9,500 vs 18,800 is still substantially inferior. My numbers may be a few percent off but the statement is pretty solid.

Back on topic I would say that the new 2010 MP5,1 should mainly help people who need the added multi thread capability and those who encrypt their drives. One can also expect increased memory bandwidth by 20-40% and possibly a move toward 10G ethernet.

On pricing expect the base model to run at a higher price point. Based on similar Intel pricing top models may be similar in pricing but with substantially increased multi thread capability.

12. smacman macrumors 6502

Agreed. Also worth noting, the Quad MP 2.66 that it outperforms has 3GB of RAM and a crap&y GT120 video card. Increase the ram, use an ATI4870, and even bump the cpu up to 2.93 and I think the Mac Pro will reign supreme...

13. akadmon Suspended

Yes, but that's another $450 to $950 over the price of the i7 iMac (on top of the base difference of $300).

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

If this happens, and it probably will, there may not be 4-core Mac Pros next update. That would leave 6, 8, and 12 core, although I can still see a high clocked 4 core if Gulftown makes it too expensive or if that makes sense with Apple.

15. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I'm thinking that Apple will be choosing the ATI Radeon 5870 or 5970 in the MP5,1. However, it is more likely that the 5870 gets chosen. (Still hoping for 5970) ;)

16. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Historically Apple simply replaced an old Intel Xeon model with the newest and did not keep the old models. This would also make sense for 2010. I see no point in an 8 core MP5,1. A complete exchange of 3500/5500 to 3600/5600 makes more sense. A high clocked 4 core would be equally unconvincing. Only if Apple wants to get a sub 3600/5600 price point an old quad 3520 for low entry level would make sense, IMO.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

to the OP, i'm praying they are "released" in early January like if MWSF was still around, with a shipping date of late January. I don't know how much longer I can stand 7-9 hours of render time in FCP

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup point is still completely valid there :) you would be stupid to argue against it!

should we expect new/faster RAM or will that be from QPI improvements?

and 10GE? hmm i dont know. i more want to see LP. :D

19. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

hopefully apple gives us an option for SSD as well

20. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Several sources say that Intel will enable memory to run on 1600 MHz. That doesn't mean Apple will adopt that. Other architectural changes are likely to come with Sandy Bridge. So QPIs should not be affected.

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

interesting. the prices of 1600MHz FB-DIMM RAM would be incredibly high! maybe apple will use 1333MHz?

22. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Is this really something people want? I mean you aren't going to get to choose a model and it will be way more expensive than a retail drive. With all the issues with SSDs and the fast changing market I can't see why anyone would want to buy something that is so simple to install.

23. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It isn't FB-DIMM, just DDR3 and it shouldn't be that different to current prices of "server" memory.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh, my mistake. ignore my last post then :eek:

25. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Of course people they don't want them from Apple (no one want hard drives from Apple), but it would be great if Apple could fit some 2.5" sleds in the Pro so that we can get rid of those 2.5" to 3.5" adapters.