Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi

I' m waiting for my first Mac Pro until now I had only iMac. I've 2 little question for you:

1) I want to put my Mac Pro on my desk and not under the desk. It may be too noisy in comparison with iMac 27"?

2) with my iMac I've a really good built in mic that allow me too moving around the room with no problem. With Mac Pro i need to buy an external mic? any suggestion? thanks!!

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Wonderful! it' s silent like iMac!!

I'm forget to say why i need mic! I only need that for Skype calls! what model of mic is perfect for that? thanks!

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Remember that the noise level also depends on the installed graphics card. The better gfx could be louder.

I' m waiting for the entry level Mac Pro with the default standard Graphics Card (ATI 5770).

What about mic? do you know a model that can do the same work of the iMac mic? thanks!!

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Mac Pro don' t have built-in mic?

No.

And the noise level is very subjective. Personally, I think it's a really silent machine, but that depends on your configuration (graphics cards, hard drives).
The WD Black drive the Pro ships with is indeed very loud (loudest part of the machine), so if you want a silent machine, you might wanna swap the drive for SSD or Green drives.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I want to use 1 SSD + 1 or 2 HDD. noise level is very subjective i agree but I'm coming from iMac that use the same WD Black used in Mac Pro so, if the other part of machine are silent, the noise level between Mac Pro and iMac will be similar....

For the mic: I wan't a really really small mic to put on the desk and that allow me to move around the room (5m x 5m) with no problem!

vogelhausdesign

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Sounds like you could use a wireless headset/mic like a bluetooth earpiece, also with most mikes the sensitivity can be adjusted above the ambient noise level, capturing only your voice

cutterman

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
How about a bluetooth headset, used for cell phones? I bet it will work, maybe others know for sure.

It would allow you to roam around the room, but not too far since bluetooth reception is notoriously poor on the MP's.

Edit: Cory beat me to it :)

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
purchase of a headset is scheduled but I wan't also a small mic putted on the desktop to speck in freedom without the headset putted on

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I posted the measured sound levels from my 2010 MP in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1024897/

Since posting those #'s I've noticed that when the stock 1TB Black goes to sleep the sound subjectively level drops ~ 1/2. The Black has a slightly higher pitched sound than the background fans. I'll probably replace this Black with some 2 TB Greens which are supposed to be a lot quieter.

I would NOT suggest mounting the MP on your desk. It's a huge box and would make a desk very messy. JMO.

cheers and congrats on the order
JohnG

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Put the Mac Pro on the desk is important for quick plug external media (Reflex, Headphones and other stuff). For example the iPhone headphones have a really short cable and if the Mac Pro is on the desk I can plug it!

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Have you really seen a Mac Pro in person? They are huge. Mine is set about a foot lower than my desktop and the top is at my chin (but I do slouch while working). I would think having it on my desk would be extremely claustrophobic but it wouldn't fit anyway. I say if you can afford the Pro, forget the "iphone headphones" and get a good set that has a decent cord. Also, connectivity on the machine isn't difficult. It really shouldn't be that hard to bend over and plug something into the fton of the machine by your shins.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks for helps! I really appreciate the suggestion from Mac Pro owner. There's a topic where the Mac Pro user post a picture of their setup and many of them have the Mac Pro on the floor but a lot of people have it on the Desk!

I can afford the Pro as result of month of money savings :D !! After the Pro I need to save money for a good monitor and for a RAM upgrade (I thing that 3 GB could be too little for use XCode, Skype, Photoshop, Safari, Mail and other software) so I wan' t to use also the standard Apple headphones for now!!

C. Alan

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2009
I use the USB ports that are built into the front of the Mac Pro to run just a simple USB headset. It works pretty well with the google phone service.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I use the USB ports that are built into the front of the Mac Pro to run just a simple USB headset. It works pretty well with the google phone service.

I' m sure about that! but i need something different!

I need a microphone that can be put on the desk and can speak freely without a headset

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
Uh, I have the 2009 Mac Pro on my desk and the fans are definitely audible: a quiet, breezy sound. The 21" iMac that I recently sold, however, was completely inaudible.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Put the Mac Pro on the desk is important for quick plug external media (Reflex, Headphones and other stuff). For example the iPhone headphones have a really short cable and if the Mac Pro is on the desk I can plug it!

Everything you listed can be dealt with easily.

A huge (slightly noisy) box on your desk can't be dealt with easily.

cheers
JohnG

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I' m sure about that! but i need something different!

I need a microphone that can be put on the desk and can speak freely without a headset

I have a USB "Blue Snowflake" microphone. I use it for scratch audio tracks when working on an edit. IT is by no means a super high quality mic, but it serves me fine and it picks up from a good distance. I have to turn my AC off when I use it and if people are working outside (I'm on the fourth floor in the city) I have to shut windows. I'm sure it will pick you up away from the desk but I can't guarantee quality of audio from that distance.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I have a USB "Blue Snowflake" microphone. I use it for scratch audio tracks when working on an edit. IT is by no means a super high quality mic, but it serves me fine and it picks up from a good distance. I have to turn my AC off when I use it and if people are working outside (I'm on the fourth floor in the city) I have to shut windows. I'm sure it will pick you up away from the desk but I can't guarantee quality of audio from that distance.

I need somenthing like Blue Snowflake! but the price is really really high! For my use (Skype Calls) the quality in not important so I hope that there's something similar with a little price!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.