Mac Pro noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by radiohead1075, Feb 20, 2009.

1. radiohead1075 macrumors member

I have noticed, over time, that my mac pro has become noisier and noisier. It seems with each new software update from Apple, the noise has become increasingly louder. When I first purchased the Mac Pro (early 2008 version), it was whisper silent, and now there is a constant, relatively loud hum from the fan.

Anyone else experiencing this?... or am I just crazy. :eek:

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

That's a hardware issue, not a software issue. My Mac Pro running all the latest updates is whisper quiet.

S-

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

+1

4. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

The noise is proportional to fan speed, which is regulated by heat via software. Heat is proportional to power output and cooling efficiency.

Software updates may have caused the machine to cool more actively to reduce hardware failure and resulting warranty claims (likely).

Dust could be building up reducing cooling efficiency.

Maybe you're working harder or it's hot inside?

5. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

It's gotta be dust. Get a can of air. You'd be surprised.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

+2
    Mine is little over a month old to two months old and the top fan in the front use to make noise, I was at the apple store and asked about repairs and all that, came home that night and no more noise like what used to be there, one of the guys said make sure its on a level surface and it could be a bearing that is just shot or the fans need to be broken in stupid as it may sound he may have been right. I know it was not me because my wife and son even said you paid that much money for that noise? All's quiet now.

7. radiohead1075 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the idea. I took a vacuum, carefully, to the inside and cleaned it out. There was quite a bit of dust. It is back to being quiet again. :)

8. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix