Mac Pro noisy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mariatim, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mariatim macrumors newbie

- the hard-drive is extremely noisy, we even took it back and had it changed with a new one
    - Mac Pros have the old Apple keyboard, not the thin, aluminum one, though in the store it was presented with the new keyboard

http://cmyway.blogspot.com/

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Get a Powermac G5, then compare the noise levels. My new MacPro is silent compared to that beast.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The HD shouldn't be noisy. But noise is relative. If you are in a record studio, then any sound is noisy.

If you really want the alu keyboard, you can go back to the store and try to exchange it with a alu keyboard.

4. dralbertqnixon macrumors newbie

Those ex-Soviet Union Apple retailers sure love stickin' it to ya.

5. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Get a dual 867 MDD G4...!

...and some industrial earplugs, or encase it in fifty feet of solid lead.

It's truly amazing how noise levels like that slipped by QC.

6. akadmon macrumors 68010

I suspect you got a Seagate drive both times. Go back to the store and ask for a Western Digital (the other vendor Apple uses for Mac Pros). WDs are much quieter. Hopefully they'll let you bring back the HD, so you don't have to lug the the whole machine back to the store.

7. Roy macrumors 6502

I don't know. About a year ago I replaced my G4 internal drive with a Seagate and it is super quiet (replaced original Maxtor drive). Also bought an external WD 250 at the same time and it is noisy (too much noise "like a top spinning).

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

I've had 5 WDs in my MP, and all of them have been super quiet. Not questioning your experience with Seagate, but I remember reading a lot of complaints about noise Seagate drives early on when I was doing research into getting HDs for my then new MP.

9. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

LOL - nothin beats the old wind tunnel. You can hear mine 3 rooms away - with the doors shut. On a hot day it is even worse!!

aussie_geek

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

Stop talking about hot days, will'ya, aussie_geek! You're getting me depressed.
    A cold front is comming this way tomorrow :(

11. Blogger macrumors 6502

WD seconded for quiet. I relegated the stock Seagates to external back-up (most of the time, they're off) because of their access noises and put in 4 WD drives. Much quieter, but the Seagates were 7200.9 versions, perhaps the newer .10 and .11 ones are quieter.

12. Roy macrumors 6502

Anybody know of a website that compares hard drives based on a scale of quietness?

13. iSavant macrumors regular

There are sites out there that do that... Google on "quiet pc" and they come right up, including Wiki :)

14. pprior macrumors 65816

www.storagereview.com is the best place on the net for hard drive data - you can look by noise criteria.