Mac Pro not booting after Bootcamp installation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by R.Youden, Oct 22, 2009.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

OK, I tried to install Bootcamp (XP Pro SP3) on my Mac Pro (2.66GHz....) and it was not playing nicely.

I have OSX on one HD and I wanted to install XP on a 2nd internal HD. Everything started OK but the installation of XP just gave up on me so I decided to go back into OSX and start again. No joy. Now when I boot my Mac Pro I got the 'bong' but nothing happens. I have tried removing the HD that had XP on, still no joy. I tried booting off the OSX DVD, no joy.

My guess is that XP has screwed something on the boot loader (or whatever it uses). Is there anyway of doing a hard reset of that to get OSX back?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried resetting the PRAM, still no joy, bugger!

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The most common cause for loosing OS X in a windows installation is usually the erroneous selection of the OS X partition or drive for NTFS formatting. It doesn't sound like that is the case here. You should be able to boot from an installation disk if it were the case. You may have a hardware failure or a corrupted firmware on your hand. Have you tried to boot with firewire into target disk mode from another Mac?

3. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Not tried Target Disk mode but I will give that a go on Monday when I get back to the computer.

I guess there is not a way of doing a master reset on the firmware. Is that a new logic board then?

4. mightypants macrumors newbie

I believe you can do this. Check out the second post in the thread below.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6603562

I was instructed to do this once by Apple Support when having a similar problem.

5. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

OK, I think I may be getting some where with this. I tried booting the machine again but still no luck. This time I accidentally caught the volume control with my hand and the machine 'biped' at me.

Now back on my laptop I can see my MacPro and I can connect to it as a shared device but still no video output.

I have a Dell 2005 LCD display. That turns 'on' (green status LED rather than orange) so my thoughts are that Bootcamp has busted the graphics card, thats a bugger.

Any further advice?

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

So is it that you generally do not get a screen in EFI? I was under the impression that you have a screen and got no options shown when you boot with the option key.