Mac Pro - Not detecting stereo plugged into Optical out?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by milbournosphere, Aug 24, 2010.

1. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

So I just picked up my new Mac Pro, and have it set up in the living room, much to my girlfriends' chagrin, while I wait for my new monitor to arrive. Anyways, I have it plugged into the TV so I thought to myself, 'why not plug it into my surround set as well?' I went ahead and plugged my stereo receiver into my Mac Pro's Optical Out port, but the Pro doesn't seem to be detecting my stereo, as I cannot select the digital audio as a device for sound output. So, in the meantime, I am stuck with 2.1 through the line out jack. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Is the optical out light on? I haven't had this issue, but I've read about others with the problem (primarily on MacBook Pros). Maybe check out some of those threads and see if there was a solution.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can only use one output at a time. That's the way the Macs. The only way to use more than one output is to an external audio card that allows multiple simultaneous outputs.

When you plug something into the stereo port, it can electronically sense it's being used, so it disables the Toslink optical out. However if you unplug that, it will enable the Toslink (which can't sense if something is in the port of not, so you have to manually select it).

4. milbournosphere thread starter macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the light is on. I know what problem you're referring to. My MBP (2006) had this issue, and it wasn't really fixed until I took it in for repair for logic board failure (thank God for apple care ;)). I know the Toslink cable is good as well; normally, it's plugged into the Apple TV so that I can use it with my surround setup. I cannot remember whether I unplugged the cord from the stereo port before trying to use the optical port; I will try that when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Huh...I wonder when this changed for the MPs? Maybe when :apple: went from PowerMacs to MacPros? I've used my G5 to output sound out the optical and analog ports simatainously for years! The optical to my home theater reciever and the analog to a set of creative 2.1 computer speakers.

6. studiox macrumors regular

That is not entirely true. You can of course only use one output at once as it's only has one D/A converter. But you can have a headphone connected to the front and at the same time be able to switch to toslink on the back.

The headphone jacks also takes the headset - So you can use the mic as an external microphone witch is sweat for skype.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Never works on my MP.