Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
So, I've been trying to install vista on my Mac Pro, but every time I try to install it on my 160GB drive, it always says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets it's criteria for installation." I know why it says this; because my other hard drives are not recognized in vista due to the fact that they are GPT partitions. The solution is to disable the other drives in the bios, which is impossible on a Mac. So, how do I go about fixing this?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
While you didn't mention it, I assume you ran the Boot Camp Assistant app in your Utilities folder first to establish the BC partition that is ready to do a Vista or XP install immediately? I only ask because establishing the partition first as the BCA is designed to do virtually eliminates all Windows installation issues, so I have to wonder. :confused:

From the standpoint of the experience gained from quite a number of Vista and XP installations on a variety of systems I can say without hesitation that there is no need to disable other drives or anything at all of that nature! My personal setup is a Mac Pro with 4x1Tb worth of drives, with XP Pro installed on a 250 Gb NTFS format partition established by the Boot Camp Assistant on the the fourth drive (which has a GUID Partition Table as all my drives do).

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
While you didn't mention it, I assume you ran the Boot Camp Assistant app in your Utilities folder first to establish the BC partition that is ready to do a Vista or XP install immediately? I only ask because establishing the partition first as the BCA is designed to do virtually eliminates all Windows installation issues, so I have to wonder. :confused:

From the standpoint of the experience gained from quite a number of Vista and XP installations on a variety of systems I can say without hesitation that there is no need to disable other drives or anything at all of that nature! My personal setup is a Mac Pro with 4x1Tb worth of drives, with XP Pro installed on a 250 Gb NTFS format partition established by the Boot Camp Assistant on the the fourth drive (which has a GUID Partition Table as all my drives do).

Yes, I did use Boot Camp to make the drive a 160GB Windows partition. It still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.