Mac Pro not recognizing camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BiikeMike, Jul 2, 2008.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I have a Panasonic PV-GS200 and my Mac Pro is not recognizing it. I just had my Mac in the Apple Store, and they tested the firewire, saying it works. I have an external drive, and it works firewire. I figured it was the cable, but the camera works on both my MacBook Pro and my MacBook. Neither of them have the horsepower or display of my Mac Pro, so I'd really like to get it working.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. strieck macrumors member

I've had the same problem with this camcorder and my Mac Pro for about a year. The camera has never worked well with the Mac Pro, but it stopped being recognized at all after the 10.4.10 or 10.4.11 update. The problem has persisted with the upgrade to Leopard. I've posted here twice and have scoured the web, but I've not yet found a fix.

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

That is so odd! I wonder why that is? and if it will be fixed in the next update? Here is to hoping....

4. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I have been encoding a 57 minute video on my MacBook Pro since 10am. It is now 4:15pm and it is just over halfway done. This is poop. I need this on my Mac Pro!

5. strieck macrumors member

I hear you. My work around has been to capture on my 12" PowerBook G4 and then transfer the footage to my Mac Pro. I think it's time to invest in a new camcorder.

6. Riverpoet62 macrumors newbie

I may have your answer

I had the same problem, and I was ready to throw in the towel and sell my camera. So I talked to an Apple rep at a local retailer. He had worked on the problem for another customer who came in.

I have a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD108 and a MacBook Pro (Intel) with Leopard 10.5.4 (yesterday's build). When I would try to plug in my camera, to copy off the media, the system wouldn't even recognize that I had a camera plugged in.

The secret was that I had to finalize the DVD before plugging it into the Mac USB port. (Same with Firewire, I suppose). Once I finalized the disk, I plugged in, and up popped the little window asking me if I wanted to open iMovie whenever this type of media was plugged in.

I copied off the files and am now converting them to MP4 with Handbrake. It's taking forever, but hopefully when I'm done, it will allow me to work with the files in iMovie.

Too bad Sony doesn't recognize this as an issue they need to address with compatibility. They didn't even address the use case in the manual. In fact, I found the manual to make a pretty good coaster but not much else.

Peace - D

7. dipan macrumors member

dipan

Riverpoet62 ... The camcorder in question is not a DVD camcorder. It's a mini-DV recorder.

Anyway, add my name to the list of whose camcorders doesn't work on their MacPro's. I wonder if this is a Mac Pro hardware issue (doubt it) or a driver issue. I also thought it was a bad cable (never had that happen before). So I bought a new one and still no go.

8. Joe Finney macrumors newbie

GS200 to Mac Pro

I'm having the same frustrating challenge of getting movies transferred from the GS200 to my Mac. Only USB capable. Nothing I do gets it to work! All these movies and can't get downloaded!

9. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

It's amazing to me really. Isn't the Mac Pro supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL computer? For like, I dunno, editing video?!

10. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The GS200 records to miniDV, right? In which case you need to use Firewire to transfer the video, not USB . . .

11. dipan macrumors member

dipan

Yeah, I'm talkin firewire here also. USB on the GS200 is only for downloading the still photos.