Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January, perhaps with new cases and new cinema displays.

Will they or won't they?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I think you is right i do.

Netdog, I think your spot on. As much as I hate the fact. If they haven't got a system ready, them Macworld will be the next time for one to appear. Although a Pro announcement at a Consumer show is a little odd.

But then Apples release's have been very unpredictable as of late.

moworks2

macrumors member
May 3, 2007
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January, perhaps with new cases and new cinema displays.

Will they or won't they?

I don't know...but if they don't, why wouldn't they introduce them between tomorrow and MacWorld?...there's a whole eight weeks in there...please forgive me if this is a silly question...

truly,...

in the mist...

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

Just wondered how would would improve the Mac Pro design? I almost think of it as timeless, as I do the ACD. I'll be picking up another ACD once the new ones get released - should get a good few deals!

Quash

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
If it's just an upgrade of the current machine. Without changing the look of it.
Just the video and new processors, and maybe more memory and a bigger drive

Then the update could be any day from now on. Since the new processors are available. So whenever they are ready to start shipping they can announce it.

Don't see any reason why they would have to make an event of the release if it's just a 20-30% regular speed bump.

If they would do a big makeover or split the line into a single socket quad core and a dual socket octo core ( like they did with the PM G5 1.8 single).
To make a more affordable mac pro, which would be a good move imho.
Then the announcement could well be at macworld.

Whichever way i'll be waiting for the upgrade, not gonna dump 3k on a 15 month old config.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I don't know...but if they don't, why wouldn't they introduce them between tomorrow and MacWorld?...there's a whole eight weeks in there...please forgive me if this is a silly question...

truly,...

in the mist...

Retailers are reluctant to update inventories and stock lists between now and Christmas. They could release it today, as Monday was a holiday (the day of the Intel announcement) hence bumping traditional Tuesday announcements to Wednesday (to give the PR department time to work their stuff), and that would all be a sign that Apple is anxious to update a machine that has been allowed to remain basically unchanged since August 2006.

If they aren't anxious, they aren't going to bring this dog to market until MacWorld. That was Multi's theory, and I believe he was correct in his analysis.

It is not almost 5am in California. We should here something in the next hour or two...or not.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
I think we'll see them...

Oddly - I woke up early this morning (west coast) - I think we'll see the upgrades. Apple gobbled up all the early chips, so we'll see improved machines with the same enclosure.

Bigger changes will come with the next Xeon release.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Oddly - I woke up early this morning (west coast) - I think we'll see the upgrades. Apple gobbled up all the early chips, so we'll see improved machines with the same enclosure.

Bigger changes will come with the next Xeon release.

What time(s) could this happen at though? 9am EST? 9am PST? Noon EST? Noon PST? End of the day?

trollking

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
San Antonio, TX
I am really having my doubts about any releses this week. Before the MAcBooks were announce there were a lot more grumblings through the rumor mill about inventory shortages and the like. Haven't seen anything.

Highly doubtful that we will see anything next week... I guess it would be possible if they are expecting the big Friday after Thanksgiving rush, I would really feel sorry for the store employees though.

That would leave December. There was mention on some of the rumors sites about a bunch of exciting releases between now (then) and mid December. But none of them have had any follow ups.

Which then leads to macworld... but if they are planning the utra portable laptop thingy, and possibly some other consumer hand held device mentioned in other rumors I don't think they would want to take away from the press about those devices.

So my prediction is they will never release new Mac Pros... nope not bitter in the least... anyone know the Dell website :p

Hoepfully they are just waiting on some graphics card shipments and they will get our little dream machines in the stores and into my fat grubby hands soon.... or I'm going to join the Amish

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
If they announce today and do not release until late December, what is the difference of just announcing in January when they can ship immediately? There is no difference in my opinion. I want one, but ordering today and getting it in January or ordering it in January and getting it in January are the same thing...it is either early Jan. just prior to MW or at the event.

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana

Will they or won't they?

I'm thinking MWSF now, as much as I hate that. I've heard it's going to be 45 days before Intel ships most of their Penryns. Even if the rumor is true about Apple buying a big chunk of the 3.2 bin, I don't think they would release the new line until they have the full range of processors available.

As for the cases, I doubt that, too. I'm betting they'll have a major redesign when Intel's next line, Nehalem, is ready in late '08 or early '09. Nehalem is a huge change in processor architecture, so it seems more likely to warrant a redesign from Apple.

chameleon

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Albany, NY
I'd say they announce the Mac Pro today or you can forget about it until MacWorld in January
I don't buy that.

These are business machines. They'll be released when they're ready. I'm not sure that Apple needs to wait for a major press event, or be worried about Christmas sales.

My guess is that when they have enough chips in house, they'll start shipping -- regardless of when.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
What if it's Friday? Then what? Hold on, you can do it!!!;)

The current Mac Pros are rip offs, don't be fooled.

I think Friday would be the last day I wait. I kinda want it before Thanksgiving, and I don't think that will happen now since it will take 3-5 days until they ship it since I will be adding things to it. Then by the end of next week it's almost December, then I should just wait until Penryn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Don't know what to do anymore.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Time to submit some very strongly-worded Mac Pro feedback. I'm going to ask them how their 18 month sabbatical is treating them.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
I mean, I do have a history of buying things and that same day something better comes out. I could sacrifice buying a current MacPro so that everyone else can get Penryn. lol .... I might just hang on. It just sucks.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I think Friday would be the last day I wait. I kinda want it before Thanksgiving, and I don't think that will happen now since it will take 3-5 days until they ship it since I will be adding things to it. Then by the end of next week it's almost December, then I should just wait until Penryn. Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Don't know what to do anymore.

For all the waiting - you could have churned out some projects on the old machine...13 months since the last pro even your old G4 could churn out some work - why throw in the towel a few miles from the finish?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.