mac pro now or later?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
3,567
1
I am trying to decide if I should order my mac pro now or wait for the 8 core system. I would not order it for another 3-4 weeks anyway. Would the price go up for a 8 core system?:eek:
 

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
2,670
4
Northern California
Don't play the Waiting Game and get one when you need it. There probably won't be an 8 core MP released anytime this year. If you must, you can buy the two quad-core CPUs and drop them in later (according to initial reports, this will be possible).
 

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
825
0
Scotland
Given that...

1. Apple tends ot to use new Intel chips the second they are released (Mac Pro was announced about a month or so after Woodcrest was introduced, and the MacBook and MacBook Pro have yet to receive a Core 2 Duo upgrade - perhaps next Tuesday). It could be some months before Apple use quad cores.

2. There is no guarentee that Apple would put 2 Quad core CPUs into the Mac Pro. They could produce a single-socket second generation system (as they did with the dual core G5 Power Macs).

3. The Quad cores are not going to clock as fast as the current Woodcrest CPUs. They may not thus fit into Apple's plans for the Mac Pro - though servers are another question.

4. Given their track record, Apple is going to hold off any major upgrade to the Mac Pro (and the iMac) until after Leopard is launched (got to get all those people holding off buying until Leopard/CS3 is released). Then they hit you with a major update a few months later.

I would be surprised to see an 8 core Mac Pro within the next 9-12 months.
 

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
3,567
1
apfhex said:
Don't play the Waiting Game and get one when you need it. T
Yeah I have been here for awhile and thats always what i suggest but its that much harder when your the one doing the buying, because i always want the best.......:eek: