Mac Pro now, or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HighContrast*, Jul 12, 2008.

1. HighContrast* macrumors newbie

I have a problem.

I have decided to get a Mac Pro. But I don't know wether to wait till Nehalem.

I need a new machine Asap as my Laptop is *****.

I get at least 14.5% off, so If i bought something now , i could probably break even if i wanted to sell just before Nehalem.

I was thinking of getting a iMac , then sell it when the new Pro line comes out , as i would get decent cash for it as Nehalem iMacs will be out later than the Pro. Good plan?

This is currently on the Refurb section
    @ £1019

I am not sure.

Any advice would be helpful

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nehalem won't be any sooner than MacWorld and could be as late as WWDC.

It's up to you whether you want to waste that much time.

I think that you should probably get something now and sell it when the Nehalem Mac Pros come out. I don't know about getting that iMac, though. Perhaps a current rev?

3. HighContrast* thread starter macrumors newbie

4. smitha96 macrumors regular

I have a first gen mac pro 2.66 and I still have a hard time maximg it out, and even when I do max it out, it tends to be limited to about 75% processor speed-- and that's with my hard drive in a raid zero. That said, I don't know what you'll be using yours for, I'm not a professional.

But historically, macworld these last few years has not focused on the professional products like MacBook pro and mac pro so I would not anticipate a realese then. Macworld and wwdc are a showcase for apples consumer products.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you need a new computer now then get a new computer now & flog it later , me i don't have your problem HighContrast as i've a new MBP that see me through till Nehalem and beyond, but I'm looking forward to my new Nehalem MP no end