Mac Pro Now?!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Falcon999, Mar 22, 2013.

  1. Falcon999 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #1
    Hi there, Hope you all doing well. I really need to know what you think if i should buy Mac Pro NOW or wait! I m in a rush, my old one broke down and i need to get my work done by next week. I have now two options:

    1- Get a new Mac Pro ($10K+)
    Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (12 cores)
    64GB (8x8GB)
    4x 512GB solid-state drive
    Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card

    2- PC :(

    I really need you advise,

    Regards,
     
  2. echoout macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #2
    I had the same thing happen in November. My problem was not being able to get the faster 12-core soon enough, so I just went to the Apple Store and got the slower 12-core and overnighted all of my upgrades from OWC. I was up and running in less than 24 hours. Sold it when my project wrapped last month and got quite a bit of my money back.

    I lost maybe $2K on that computer but it helped me with a $70K job, so it was worth it.

    If another big project like that pops up, I'm not sure what I'll do though.
     
  3. dmax35 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    #3
    Since your in L.A. I believe there is a company Mac Distributors who lease out Mac Pro systems. It would give you some lead time to see when and if Apple produces a new system. http://macdistributors.com/
     
  4. Falcon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #4
    I m glad that you made it! But in my case, i want to invest $$ in something worth it, i would be :mad::mad::mad: if i get the Mac Pro then after a month Apple release new one! We all know Apple

    So what i m thinking is to get a PC for now, then when Apple release the new Mac Pro i will get it.

    Please everyone feel free correcting me...


    Regards,

    ----------

    Thanks dmax35 for the info, how do they work??
     
  5. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2011
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #5
    Don't laugh, but a quad core mini might hold you over the few months before Apple releases the MP. You can put 16GB of ram in it, fusion drive, and it will be easy to sell ... PC has zero resale value. OR, you can get a new top spec iMac, loaded and probably never need the Mac Pro
     
  6. Falcon999 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2013
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #6
    Thanks itsamacthing for your reply, but it will take really long time 20+ hours for editing :(.

    How about i do my work on external device? If anyone did it and know how to do it, please let us know

    Regards,
     
  7. Sophia. macrumors member

    Sophia.

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2013
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #7
    Perhaps buy a refurbished model and install your own fibre channel card if you have to. I feel sorry your in this predicament I'd definitely advise waiting but no one really knows when the new Pros will appear and if you need it for work...

    Was your old Pro insured? :(
     
  8. KaraH macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2012
    Location:
    DC
    #8
    If you REALLY want a laugh I came up with a contingency plan if a MP is not released his year: buy some form of a pad/cheap laptop and offload things like web browsing to it.

    Not an ideal solution but it allows me to eke a bit more life out of my iMac.
     
  9. bsbeamer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #9
    Been in this boat before, but more so for additional workstation(s). Ended up with a new 5,1 dual CPU and (thankfully) had the other repaired (PSU and board under AppleCare).

    If you're an Apple "BUSINESS" customer, contact your local retail store rep. There are month to month leases available. They will also give you loaners while waiting for a custom BTO order to arrive. Doesn't solve the predicament completely, but may help buy some extra time.

    Depending on the type of editing work you're doing, and what software you're using, that could have a huge impact on what a good machine purchase could be.

    For editing only and not a lot of VFX work, even the base level 12-core is a great machine. Would suggest the 6-core for price, however.

    Personally use CalDigit HDPro external RAID-5 units on all workstations. New ones are 750-800 MB/s in and out. Connect via PCIe. Even with an upgraded machine, I'm not sure this would increase. This performance is more than adequate for most.
     
  10. prfrma macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2010
    #10
    At least you can still purchase a Mac Pro! EU has few options (most involve big shipping costs!)
     
  11. scott.n macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2010
    #11
    I'd just buy a used one, of the same model as your old one so that you can transfer over all your upgrades.
     
  12. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

    OS6-OSX

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2004
    Location:
    California
    #12
    What's missing from your post is what editing apps you use and what "old" Mac
    did you have that broke down?
     
  13. Tesselator, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

    Tesselator macrumors 601

    Tesselator

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Japan
    #13
    No, you have about a thousand options - including outsourcing. ;)

    But yeah if it's only for a few weeks how about 4 or 5 MacMinis in a little farm. Assuming the software you're using can net render (most can) this might be the optimal way of recovering all your interim investment monies. Right? Mac Mini's sell pretty quick on the auction sites with minimal loss. And 4 run headlessly rendering with one as your editor slash controller would be faster maybe than the $10k 12 core you're thinking of. On even a cheap HUB they can interconnect at around 110MB/s which is the same as last year's HDD speeds. It's about a $5K to $6k investment and I guess you can sell them for about the same as you paid for them if you also shop around a little.

    I dunno... Just another option to consider.
     
  14. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

    PowerPCMacMan

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2012
    Location:
    PowerPC land
    #14
    To the OP:

    If the work you currently do requires a Mac Pro, just buy now! Get either the 6-core which is the sweet spot for most stuff, or if you are a heavy video renderer, 3D/2D animator, Music pro, etc.. then get the 12-core.

    If you need it, then buy it now.. If your needs are for only light video editing, encoding, then you don't need a Mac Pro at all.. You would be best suited with either a top of the line iMac or Retina MacBook Pro.

    As others here have mentioned, should Apple ditch us and no Mac Pro comes, then by all means buy what you can or move to a PC.

    I hope I was helpful at this time of the morning: 5.14am!! I need some sleep!
     

Share This Page