Mac Pro Nvidia 7300GTgood enough for Motion Graphics?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by YoYoMa, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Hey, now that the ATI card for the Mac Pro has dropped in price I've been trying to get it to replace the nvidia. I heard that the nvidia wasn't good enough for Motion graphics at 1920x1080 res. Is this the case or should I just stick with the nvidia? I don't game, just HDV editing, and I'm really trying to get into Motion. Thanks.
  2. faustfire macrumors 6502a


    Jul 17, 2002
    If you are talking about apple motion than you should get the fastest video card you can get your hands on, especially if you are going to be working in HD. We have the Nvidia quadro fx 4500s at work and even they get bogged down pretty quickly in motion. If you are talking about motion graphics in general, it really depends on a few things. Do you plan on doing a lot of 3D work, if so a fast video card will really speed up your workflow. I helps in after effects as well, but you can get by with a slower card pretty well.

    Long story short, a faster card is always a plus, especially if you have tight deadlines.
  3. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks. Looks like I'll be grabbing the ATI then. I won't be doing too much in Motion for a bit though, maybe a couple months. Should I expect a worthwhile upgrade to the ATI card within or around that time? Or should I grab the ATI now since it'll prob be the card I end up with in a few months anyway? Thanks for the help btw.
  4. hessdesigns macrumors member

    Sep 14, 2006
    That's what I've been wondering... when to buy. (Isn't that ALWAYS the question?). I am also in motion graphics and I need a new computer, but if the prices on the x1900 are going to drop again soon, maybe I'll just wait for Leopard... It's a stretch for me to spend the extra $225.
  5. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

    Aug 3, 2006
    I don't think the price on the ATI is going to drop largely in price again anytime soon. I'm more concerned about if it is going to be replaced by a newer model soon, that will pose a greater value than the current ATI at $359 from the Apple EDU store. The 1900xt is rather old when talking about video card updates right? Isn't there a 1950xt out there?

    Anyone who knows about video cards care to speak concerning what will be going on with video cards over the next couple months? Anyone want to guess as to if I should I buy this card now? Or is something better worth waiting for in the pipeline?

    I can wait, it's just a matter of if the new cards will be worth waiting for, or if the current ATI's are worth buying now.

Share This Page